Skip to main content

Hello,

It seems that the the files from DocuSign are often too large when I download them after they are signed.  I don’t see anyway to download them as a smaller file or compress them because Adobe won’t allow it if there are digital signatures.

Is there a way to download from DocuSign so the file is compressed?

Thanks!

@ckrealtor 

In DocuSign, there's no built-in feature to directly download a compressed version of the signed document.

What you can do, before you create the envelope or template is optimize the file before uploading.  

Adobe Acrobat provides an option to save a reduced-size PDF. Although compressing might not be possible after the envelope is completed due to digital signatures, you can:

• Go to File > Save As Other > Reduced Size PDF
  • Choose the appropriate settings to reduce file size.

Hi John,

Thanks for the fast reply!  The issue I have is that we send our contract through a program and straight into DocuSign.  This way the fields are auto populated and it saves hours of time.  If I had to compress the file, I would have to manually add every field.

Oh well!  

Do you know if there is a way to save default fonts?

@ckrealtor 

Integration with other platforms is a good way to streamline the process.  You might want to find out if your application can reduce the file size of the document you are sending to DocuSign.

And yes, you can save default fonts in DocuSign.   These are the default fonts for your fields and tags in DocuSign.  Not the actual copy on your document. 

Hi John,

I wanted to circle back about the file size issue.  Our software has been integrating with DocuSign for years.  It just seems like lately the files are huge and then when we cannot reduce them, it just becomes so much extra work.  Do you know if they have changed anything with DocuSign?  

I appreciate all of your help!

@ckrealtor 

I’m not aware of any changes.  This might be a good time to contact DocuSign customer support directly.  

Hi @ckrealtor,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

@ckrealtor

In DocuSign, there's no built-in feature to directly download a compressed version of the signed document.

What you can do, before you create the envelope or template is optimize the file before uploading.  

Adobe Acrobat provides an option to save a reduced-size PDF. Although compressing might not be possible after the envelope is completed due to digital signatures, you can:

• Go to File > Save As Other > Reduced Size PDF
  • Choose the appropriate settings to reduce file size.

What do we do if we’ve already already reduced it before putting it in DocuSign? I’ll use a PDF that’s ~600KB but the completed downloaded form is ~6000KB. Is there anything else that can be done?

@ccsacs17 

That is a significant increase from  ~600KB to ~6000KB.  Is that just the document or all other supporting documents like the Certificate of Completion?   Do you get the same increases from a .doc upload or any other formats?

I haven’t checked with a .doc, but yes it’s the same increase whether downloading just the document or all as one PDF. Would a .doc file lower this increase?

@ccsacs17 

You can test it using a .doc file to see if you get the same results.   Also, test it in a DocuSign Demo environment.  

Yes, Something has changed in the last year.  ADOBE actually increases the size when you try and reduce it through Acrobat.  The files always used to be much smaller.  This is a bug in their system.