Skip to main content

Hi,

I want to send an update that someone has signed the document but without sharing the document itself.

I have turned on the “Document Visibility” to “Must sign to view, unless a member of sender's account”.

I have created a step “Update participants” for which I have removed the visibility for one of the documents (As I understand I can't completely disable visibility of all documents).

However still, when the recipient receives the update, they can open the documents and see all documents.

Is there another setting to limit seeing the documents? 

Thanks

@People Ops

“Manager recipients and non-signing recipients can see all documents. By default, recipients assigned with a manager recipient action (specify, update, allow to edit), or a non-signing recipient action of Receives a Copy or Needs to View, see all the documents in an envelope. You can modify the document visibility settings for these recipients to selectively hide documents in an envelope for all but the allow to edit manager recipient. An allow to edit manager recipient can always see all documents in an envelope.”

This Docusign Support article contains more information to consider when using document visibility and lists the limitations, where the above quote was taken from.

Let me also add that document visibility is not meant to be used to update people that a document was signed. The “Update recipients” role is meant to be used to update recipients in the workflow if needed, e.g. to make corrections. If you want to inform people about the progress of an envelope this would be through the “receives a copy” role and as you stated, this role will always see all documents. Also the document visibility setting means that document visibility will not apply for users (internal signers) that are part of the the sender’s account.

Hello @People Ops ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hi @Michael.Rave ,

Thank you for the answer.

Is there any way to send an update to an email that X has signed a document but without sharing the document itself?

I have tried adding the step “Receives a copy” and added an access code to limit viewing the document, however it seems the documents get added to the email either way, allowing access without the code. Is there any way to limit this?

Many thanks

Hello @People Ops ,

Welcome to the Docusign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I understand you want a way to inform someone that is not part of the signing order that a signer has completed their actions without them entering the actual document.

As @Michael.Rave has mentioned, this is not currently possible, they would need to be added to the signing order and If they are, they will always have access to the document, you would need to inform them manually by sending a separate email. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!