Skip to main content
Question

Retention not back dated

• 25 March 2024
  • 2 replies

We have had docusign for many years and would like to enable document retention.  However we want to do this moving forward only to prevent our clients from getting potentially hundreds of emails.  Why is there no option to use document retention moving forward and not back date it?  Second part of the question is if we enable document retention does that mean the signee will only have access to those documents for the set period of time as well?

Hi @cminders,

Welcome to the DocuSign Community!

We are glad to have you here and can't wait to help share as much knowledge as possible.

I understand that you are looking for more details on how Document Retention works within eSignature, and I will share more details on the topic.

Document Retention is not retroactive at this moment, taking this into consideration, the change will only affect the envelopes created after the moment when the setting was updated.

Regarding recipient access to the document, once the envelope is purged, it will be inaccessible by all parties in the signing order.

For more details on this topic, see:

Document Retention

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using DocuSign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Hi @cminders,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!