Skip to main content

Say the first person in a signing order did not attach a necessary document. I can markup or change a field to trigger a revision which will return the document to them to initial and hopefully read and attach the missing document.

The problem is that they could just initial my markup/revision without taking the action I requested, thus completing the envelope.

What I want is to be able to kick an envelope back to previous signers without first signing it. In other words, I want to always have final approval.

Hello,

Thank you for posting to DocuSign's Community!

If an Envelope is still in process, you will be able to make a Correction and re-add Recipients and any additional fields.

To have a final approval, you may add yourself as the final Recipient on any Envelope and therefore it will not complete unless you either sign as this final Recipient, perhaps an Approve field would work best in this scenario. If the Envelope is ready to be finalized by the time it gets to you, you could also make a correction and remove yourself as the final Recipient, which will automatically complete the Envelope.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Damian

DocuSign Support Community Moderator

My first thought is to remove the potential for error, which means making the Attachment Tag that is added to the envelope "Required", so they would not be allowed to complete their portion of the envelope until the attachment was added.

Also you can always add yourself twice...once wherever in the process to Review (Needs to View or Needs to Sign, or Allow to Edit) and then again as the final Recipient (Needs to Sign). Now remember as the Sender of the envelope or as a Recipient with Allow to Edit) this allows you to correct the Envelope. But as noted I think setting the fields appropriately, such as setting the Required flag, is your best option.

thanks for your answer!

I think making it required would decrease potential for error and I think I'll do that right now. However, they may need to submit multiple documents. If they submit 1 of 2 required docs then they have indeed met the required field condition and could end up not making the changes I asked for. But, I could have multiple required upload fields...I think that would go a long way.

"Also you can always add yourself twice..." I had the same thought, but the thing is it won't act as a final approver as I outlined, it just gives you a second chance to catch the mistakes and send them back for revision one final time. Maybe we can't get 100% assurance of it being correct, but we can get closer!

The multiple attachment tags sounds best, add a Note next to each or a Tooltip, and make them required and that would go a long way.