Skip to main content

Hi :) 

We want to connect DocuSign with Workday and are looking for the documentation about the topic. Where can we find it? What needs to be done on our (DocuSign) side? I’ve found an info that there are resources on the Workday community, but we don’t have an access there.

@Ada RR 

You can find more information on this DocuSign website as well as on the Workday website.

Unfortunately there’s no documentation on those sites apart from short pdf with no detailed info

Hello @Ada RR ,

Welcome to the Docusign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I’m sorry to hear that there isn’t any available information regarding setting up Docusign with Workday. I understand you would like to have information about the setup.

Unfortunately, Docusign does not own the integration with Workday, so I would recommend you contact their support team for further assistance on setting the integration up.

I did find information that could be of your assistance, however, any question would be better supported by their team: Docusign for Workday

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

@Ada RR - I’ve done a few too many integrations between Workday and DocuSign.   

Here are step-by-step directions for using DocuSign within a Workday tenant, the process can be organized as follows:

Step 1: Configure DocuSign in Workday

1. Access Tenant Setup:

• Navigate to the 'Edit Tenant Setup - Business Processes' task in your Workday tenant.
  2. Enter DocuSign Credentials:

• Enter your DocuSign Enterprise License information.
    • Provide the login email (preferably a service account not tied to any individual).
    • Enter the password for the DocuSign account.
  3. Authenticate with DocuSign:

• Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'Authenticate with DocuSign'.
    • Sign in to DocuSign using your credentials.
    • After successful login, you will be redirected back to Workday. The connection will complete in the background. Click 'Done'.
  4. Confirm DocuSign Account ID:

• Navigate back to the 'Edit Tenant Setup - Business Processes' task.
    • Click on 'Confirm DocuSign Account ID' at the bottom of the page.
    • Select the appropriate Account ID for DocuSign use and click 'OK' to save.

Step 2: Configure DocuSign Anchor Text

1. Set Up Anchor Text:

• Still in the 'Edit Tenant Setup - Business Processes' task, scroll to the section titled 'Configure DocuSign Anchor Text'.
    • Enter custom anchor texts like 'signHere', 'initialHere', and 'dateSigned'. This text will map to specific elements in the document where actions are required (e.g., 'signAnchor1' for the first signing group role).
  2. Select Tag Types:

• Workday supports seven DocuSign tag types: 'signHere', 'initialHere', 'fullName', 'dateSigned', 'title', 'signHere-Optional', and 'initialHere-Optional'.
    • Choose the necessary tag types from the 'DocuSign Tag Type' column for your document needs.

Step 3: Configure Business Processes

1. Review Document Steps:

• Configure the 'Review Document' step for various processes such as 'Change Business Title', 'New Hire', and 'Offer Letter'.
  2. Initiate Business Process:

• Begin the business process for actions like changing a user’s business title.

Step 4: Document Signing

1. User Signatures:
    • Documents are sent to designated users who will sign using DocuSign, configured as either 'Sequential Signer' or 'Single Signer'.

Step 5: Finalization

1. Complete Setup:
    • After all configurations and processes are completed, review the setup to ensure all steps are correctly implemented and operational.

Hello @Ada RR ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hello @Ada RR , thank you for the detailed steps about workday integration.

We are facing issues while being on the ‘edit tenant setup - business process’ page.

A little background: 

Like all firms, we also have some kind of corporate account with docusign.

We reached out to our IT asking “Please create a docusign account with ID and Password that we could use to send documents to employees via a program or code or configuration”. 

They responded that such an account is called a service account. 

They gave us some credentials but they do not work for us. 

Also, what i found on Workday’s community site is that we should establish a ‘connect’ by logging in to docusign account. 

We are kind of confused on what should be our ask to IT. 

Can you please suggest what should we ask IT about what type of account needs to be created? I understand at least that the account should not be SSO enabled. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

@Ada RR 

I understand.   For starters, you should have (ideally) another instance of DocuSign (Often referred as a Sub-Account) dedicated to your Workday integration.   This is highly recommended specifically for corporate accounts where you might have use cases that require additional privacy.   

In terms of accounts, there are two concepts here that sometimes are misinterpreted or mixed up.   You have a service account (a generic user with email and password) and a DocuSign account (Often referred as a Sub-Account).

So you should ask for both from your IT department.  If you are the Administrator of the DocuSign account, you can do these tasks.  

Once you have a service account, you can stablish a “connect” with DocuSign. You test and tryout all these in a Dev account (Recommended).

Thank you @Ada RR ! I will work with IT and post my response here once i know more. Thanks a ton!!

Hello @JohnSantos ,

Thank you for the detailed steps for configuring Docusign in Workday.

We have setup Docusign and configured the review documents step in hire bp however we are getting the error: ‘Missing anchor texts for following Signature Groups: Signature Group 1’

We are using a Textblock within the Review documents step in Hire bp. It looks like we have not correctly put the anchor text placeholder in the textblock.

Can you please guide with the syntax?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

@NikitaKhatri 

What are you using for Anchor text in your document?  It should look something like this:

Signature: /signAnchor1/

Initials: /Initials1/

Signature: /signAnchor2/

Initials: /Initials2/

Thanks a lot @JohnSantos !

This worked!

I had the syntax wrong, I was using backslash.

@JohnSantos Thank you for sharing the step-by-step guide. It has been very helpful. I've been following along, but I've encountered an issue and would appreciate your assistance with where I'm stuck.

I have created a company DocuSign account with a dedicated email address, username, and password specifically for the Workday to DocuSign connection. However, at step 1.4, "Confirm DocuSign Account ID," I was unable to populate the Account ID I received from DocuSign as shown in the screenshots below. Do you know if there is anything I might have missed that could have caused this issue? 

Step 1: Configure DocuSign in Workday

1. Access Tenant Setup:

• Navigate to the 'Edit Tenant Setup - Business Processes' task in your Workday tenant.
  2. Enter DocuSign Credentials:

• Enter your DocuSign Enterprise License information.
    • Provide the login email (preferably a service account not tied to any individual).
    • Enter the password for the DocuSign account.
  3. Authenticate with DocuSign:

• Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'Authenticate with DocuSign'.
    • Sign in to DocuSign using your credentials.
    • After successful login, you will be redirected back to Workday. The connection will complete in the background. Click 'Done'.
  4. Confirm DocuSign Account ID:

• Navigate back to the 'Edit Tenant Setup - Business Processes' task.
    • Click on 'Confirm DocuSign Account ID' at the bottom of the page.
    • Select the appropriate Account ID for DocuSign use and click 'OK' to save.

Step 2: Configure DocuSign Anchor Text

1. Set Up Anchor Text:

• Still in the 'Edit Tenant Setup - Business Processes' task, scroll to the section titled 'Configure DocuSign Anchor Text'.
    • Enter custom anchor texts like 'signHere', 'initialHere', and 'dateSigned'. This text will map to specific elements in the document where actions are required (e.g., 'signAnchor1' for the first signing group role).
  2. Select Tag Types:

• Workday supports seven DocuSign tag types: 'signHere', 'initialHere', 'fullName', 'dateSigned', 'title', 'signHere-Optional', and 'initialHere-Optional'.
    • Choose the necessary tag types from the 'DocuSign Tag Type' column for your document needs.

Step 3: Configure Business Processes

1. Review Document Steps:

• Configure the 'Review Document' step for various processes such as 'Change Business Title', 'New Hire', and 'Offer Letter'.
  2. Initiate Business Process:

• Begin the business process for actions like changing a user’s business title.

Step 4: Document Signing

1. User Signatures:
    • Documents are sent to designated users who will sign using DocuSign, configured as either 'Sequential Signer' or 'Single Signer'.

Step 5: Finalization

1. Complete Setup:
    • After all configurations and processes are completed, review the setup to ensure all steps are correctly implemented and operational.

@rayxilin 

Is the DocuSign account active in Production?  What permission profile are you using?   Also, I can’t remember if there is step in your Workday configuration to point to Prod or Demo.

@rayxilin

Is the DocuSign account active in Production?  What permission profile are you using?   Also, I can’t remember if there is step in your Workday configuration to point to Prod or Demo.

The account has DS Admin permission profile. Yes there is a step in Workday to select DocuSign PROD or Sandbox, and I selected PROD. 

Do you mind share where you get the DocuSign Account ID from?

Thanks,

Ray

@rayxilin 

The DocuSign Account ID should automatically populate when you authenticate with the service email address.   Make sure you are logged out of your regular account in DocuSign so you can Sign in with your dedicated email address.  A browser popup window should come up during this process.   You can try using your regular email address to see if there are other issues with your account and re-authorize with the service email address.  The Account ID should be visible from your profile on the Top right corner on the DocuSign UI.

@rayxilin 

I had another thought regarding our service account: it should only have access to one DocuSign account. I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but it's something I know to be true for the Coupa integration, as it is one of the requirements.

Hi All,

We are building some forms that require docusign in Workday. The forms have a lot of fields that need to be filled by the employee (text, checkboxes) which cannot be prepopulated. How can this be implemented in Workday? Is there any way these forms can be filled in Docusign (perhaps using anchor tags)? 

Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,

Nikita

@rayxilin

The DocuSign Account ID should automatically populate when you authenticate with the service email address.   Make sure you are logged out of your regular account in DocuSign so you can Sign in with your dedicated email address.  A browser popup window should come up during this process.   You can try using your regular email address to see if there are other issues with your account and re-authorize with the service email address.  The Account ID should be visible from your profile on the Top right corner on the DocuSign UI.

Really appreciate your insights @JohnSantos. I didn't initially mention that I was attempting to connect Workday SBX with DocuSign PROD, but the Account ID wouldn't populate. However, when I connected Workday PROD to DocuSign PROD, the Account ID appeared. Since we don't have a DocuSign SBX environment, it seems that the connection only works when both environments are either PROD or SBX.

@NikitaKhatri 

In your Workday configuration for DocuSign Anchor Text, have you tried adding at least one Text tag, similar to how you've added the SignHere and DateSigned tags? I know that only seven DocuSign Tag types are supported, so I'm not certain if they accept Text or Checkbox tags.

@JohnSantos my organization has DocuSign configured in Workday PROD however, we wanted to do some testing. If I want to test in Workday SBX do I need a DocuSign SBX account? 

@fshaikh 

Ideally yes.   You should point your Workday SBX to a DocuSign Demo instance.  You can create a new Demo instance here. https://go.docusign.com/sandbox/productshot

Hi All,

We are using Docusign custom fields to enable users to dynamically fill forms while signing. However, I was unable to find if there was a limit to the number of custom fields which can be used.

Is anyone aware if there is a max limit to the number of custom fields for an account?

Thanks,

Nikita

@NikitaKhatri 

If you are referring to the Workday integration, Workday supports seven DocuSign tag types: signHere, initialHere, fullName, dateSigned, title, signHere-Optional, and initialHere-Optional.

@JohnSantos 

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know about the limitations on adding custom fields in Docusign as well? I added it from the preferences section of my Docusign account. I’m not sure if there is a maximum number of custom fields which can be created in Docusign.

Thanks,

Nikita

@NikitaKhatri 

What kind of limitations? As of how many can you add or how to add them?