Skip to main content
Question

Customer integration request for integrations per user

• 11 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am a developer of a software package that integrates with docusign.  Our customers purchase the license and use our admin tool to update the integration information.  Our code then uses that authentication to make the calls.

We have a certain customer who is asking us to allow them to configure an integration key per user.  Meaning they’d like us to enhance our user setup admin to give them a place to save the oauth information per user.

I’ve read the documentation and understand that it’s recommended there be a single integration key per integration between docusign and the third party software (our suite).  

Their reasoning to the best of my understanding is to allow different integrations for users in different regions or countries (I’m not certain the actual differentiation).

We proposed enhancing our current admin (where they now enter a single integration key and authentication to docusign) to allow multiple entries, and then they would be able to select an integration from that list at the user level… we’d offer a drop down at the user to select an integration.

I’m not sure if this is the right way to go, seeking advice as I’m not familiar with multiple integrations keys like this.  Does the proposed approach in the preceding paragraph seem ok?

Thanks.

Some further detail, it sounds as though the customer would want certain users to count their usage against a different account, does that make sense?  I’m kind of a middle-man in getting the information as to why the request is being made.

Creating the integration per user doesn't seem to be the right way to go. The integration key is the ID to identify your API integration (application). Based on your description, it seems that creating the integration key per customer's account may be feasible, but creating the integration key per user level wouldn't be the right way. Also, since the maximum number of integration keys per account is 100, if the number of users exceeds 100, you will run into an issue that the customer can't create the integration key anymore.

If you are a partner, I would recommend you review this page and create the Partner support case for further assistance: https://developers.docusign.com/partner/plan-isv-implementation/

Regarding the question “it sounds as though the customer would want certain users to count their usage against a different account, does that make sense?”, the user can check the envelope usage or other reports on Docusign UI > Report. If the user wants to see the report on another account they have membership on, then switching the account and navigating to the Report tab shows the different report done with another account. More information about the Report is here: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&rsc_301&bundleId=cnu1642812012214&topicId=wou1578456440763.html&_LANG=enus

Switching account: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&bundleId=jux1643235969954&topicId=gmc1578456462118.html&_LANG=enus