Skip to main content

I, and my small (privately owned) employer, are new to DS. I have a specific use case that I think DS can help me with but I am not sure how to get started and if the version of DS that we have will even support it. I'll describe my use case below.

My company licenses software to other companies; it is a B2B business. As part of the ongoing relationship, our customers regularly request my company's financials and SOC audit reports. These documents contain proprietary information on my company so we require an NDA from the customer annually; I know this is unnecessary but the logic is to make it clear that the documents are confidential. Our process is something like this:

1. Customer requests the documents from their account manager.
  2. Account manager sends a non-disclosure to the customer via DocuSign.
  3. Customer signs the NDA in DocuSign.
  4. Account manager downloads the signed NDA.
  5. Account manager attaches the documents to an email, addresses it to the individual requesting them, and sends the documents in an encrypted e-mail using Outlook / Exchange encryption.

My belief is that some of this can be automated in DocuSign but I don't know how to get started. I may not be searching for the right words / phrases. Can anyone help?

Also, I realize that once the documents are downloaded by our customers they can email them to anyone they want. Is there any encryption we can apply to the emails when the documents are sent out? Are there any other security options available to further secure these documents / emails?

I appreciate any assistance / pointers you can provide.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.

If the disclosures are the same each time, I would recommend creating a template to minimize document preparation, the email can be set up in a way to require an access code which is available on all plans to give an extra step of security, however, DocuSign does encrypt the documents within it.

You can find detailed instructions along with a video on how to create one here: https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-user-guide-working-with-templates 

In the following article, you can find more information on access codes: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?bundleId=gav1643676262430&topicId=hvq1578456527366.html&_LANG=enus

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Thank you for this! Will I be able to automate:

1. My signature after my customer has signed (just auto sign it on my end)
  2. The sending of the due diligence package (financials, audit results, etc.) after I have signed?

Perhaps #2 is not a function of DocuSign...?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching back.

Unfortunately, the answer to both is no, you would need to add yourself as a recipient with the according tags and then go through the signing process as any other recipient would. DocuSign does not have the ability to automatically add your signature to the documents.

Number 2 would also be a manual process.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Thank you for the help on this. Disappointed that I can't do what I was looking to do, but appreciate you helping me understand that more quickly than had I done a bunch of trial and error.