Skip to main content

I had an issue with Document Visibility this week and I hope someone may have an answer.  We use Docusign to have contract packages reviewed, approved and signed.  I sent an envelope in Docusign that included a contract, cover page and various supporting documents.  I set up the recipients that included three approvers.  The first approver contacted me and advised that while he would approve, he could not see the contract.  He could see all the other documents.  I opened the envelope and reviewed Document Visibility for him.  All documents were checked except for the contract.  I had not unchecked this document when setting up the envelope.

I did some troubleshooting for the issue.  Under Settings, I went to Contacts and saw that there were two entrees for this person.  The entries had slightly different names (one version included a middle initial and the other did not) with the same email address.  I deleted the version with the middle initial.  I then did a test of creating a new envelope using the same documents and same recipients as the original version and in Document Visibility, all documents were checked for this recipient.

I don’t quite understand.  Does having contact entries with different names but the same email address cause issues with Document Visibility?  Or is there a different reason at play?

@Anne M - It's good to double-check the settings when setting up an envelope, especially in complex scenarios with multiple documents and recipients. Although you mentioned not unchecking the document for the first approver, there might have been a glitch or error in how the settings were saved or applied initially.

Docusign may have issues handling duplicates in the contact list, especially if the system treats entries with slightly different names (even if they share the same email) as distinct users. This could potentially lead to inconsistencies in how permissions or visibility settings are applied. Did deleting the duplicate with the middle initial resolved the issue?

It's also possible that there could be other settings or overlooked configurations contributing to this issue, but based on your description, handling of contact entries seems to be a significant factor.

John,

Thanks for responding.  I did remove the name entry with the middle initial and then did a test with a new envelope and there was no issue with document visibility.  So it’s possible that the nearly duplicate name with the same email caused the issue.

We have built templates that preloads the recipient fields and signature panels that has worked well with our current settings. This issue is a good reminder to check Document Visibility before sending and if there’s an issue, to review the Settings.

Thanks,

Anne

Hi @Anne M,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

No, the solution as suggested did not solve the document visibility issue.  Thanks.

Hi @Anne M,

I hope you are doing well, to clarify, when adding a recipient the name and email are unique to each recipient, so in your case, you mentioned that the entries had slightly different names (one version included a middle initial and the other did not) with the same email address. the system recognized them as two different recipients, which could be the reason that the Document visibility behaved the way it did.

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.