Skip to main content

I need to get two signatures on a document. The first is the signer. The second is the witness. I know the identity of the signer so can send the envelope to the signer but the witness is not known to me at the time of sending the envelope as the signer can assign anyone to be their witness. Is it possible to send the envelope to the signer (as we have her details) let her sign it and then let her enter the witness details and route/send the envelope to the witness for signing?  I hoped “Signer reassign” would work but this only allows the signer to reassign it to someone else without the signer signing it themselves first.

https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-user-guide-manager-recipients

The agent (aka Specify Recipients) recipient type should be able to help here.  You can set up the envelope like this:

Known signer at routing order 1

Same known signer as an agent (Specify Recipients) at routing order 2

Unknown signer (with blank name and email) at routing order 3

The agent will be able to enter the details for the unknown signer.

That worked! Thanks very much.

I also need a witness to witness a document being signed. However, I am not quite understanding the instructions in the above link. Can you assist?

This is a pretty old thread. The link I believe directs you to instructions for using the "Specify Recipients" recipient type. It allows one person in your workflow to specify another Recipient. The original case was a Recipient who needed to then provide the Name and Email address of another Recipient. The design laid out in the original thread was:

Recipient 1 - Needs to Sign, known signer at routing order 1

Recipient 2 - Same as recipient 1 but set to "Specify Recipients" at routing order 2

Recipient 3 - Unknown signer (has Role but with blank name and email) at routing order 3. Name and email address to be added by Recipient 2

Is this you situation?

I am also facing the same issue, it's mandatory to fill out the witness's email id which is not known to me before I send out the envelope