Skip to main content

when placing some fields, they were placed in the wrong order. how can i reset the tab order?

The only field control I am aware of is called Field Order (set per field), which goes to the appropriate required fields in the order set when using the "Fill In" navigation when signing, and I tested tabbing as well (less useful because it can go through other Actions on the document like Zoom In, Print etc) .

Now if the Recipients have not competed/signed the only way to change is for the 'Sender' to use the DocuSign "Correct" feature and change the field order.

Here is the DocuSign article on field order.....https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-user-guide-field-types

Field Order - specify the order fields are navigated to on each page of a document when recipients sign. Assign a field order does not ensure the signer will be navigated to a field. The auto-navigation setting ultimately controls how fields are presented to signers. For example, if a field has an assigned field order and is set as optional, and the auto-navigation is set to Navigate required fields, then the optional field is still present on the document, but the signer must manually select it to enter data.

I couldn't find Field Order, so I moved and renamed the fields which worked. They were custom fields that also populated later in the document and that thankfully worked too.

Glad to hear you located a resolution.

Hi, we do not have the option for FIELD OPTIONS in the admin signing or sending area. This is getting very frustrating because if i make 1 change to a field, it seems to change the order that it is now being tabbed to. Can you explain why after it working fine, that you modify the # of char field and then now it's tabbing into the wrong order?

So, you are stating you do not have the "Field Order" when you have placed a field during new Envelope creation? It is possible with the type or plan that you have with DocuSign that this may be some advanced feature they do not unable under that plan. I cannot answer why changing the character limit on one field affects the order of the tabbing at that point to all fields. I would recommend a DocuSign Support case to see if this is a known issue and why you do not see "Field Order".

I think you mean this URL instead?

https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-user-guide-field-properties

The one you posted earlier doesn't mention field order at all.

After a recent contract renewal, our ability to set Field Order was turned off, we had to have it turned back on. So it is definitely an optional and non-default feature.

Is the Field Order still working for you? DocuSign is trying to force me to buy an upgraded plan (I'm on Business Pro) that costs thousands of dollars just to use this feature. They won't turn Field Order on for me.

Hi- we have an enterprise plan already, so I'm a bit ignorant of extra costs on this 😞 sorry!

It does work for us, but is typically a pain to implement on complex forms (where it is most needed) and has to be updated if the form changes to add a new field.

You might try the other suggestions -- basically moving or copying the fields and renaming them so that they're "refreshed"?

Thanks for replying so quickly! OK, so that's a different plan than I have. I'll try that. Thanks.