Skip to main content

Hi, I'm new here. So there's a checkbox option in my document and that the signer can only choose 1 from the options. Whenever I set the validation to "select at least" then 1, whenever I try to sign, I can tick all checkboxes. What should I do? Thank you.

Hello @ytez ,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community, and welcome to the DocuSign family!!

I’m sorry to hear that the checkboxes are not working as you intend them to do so, I understand that the checkboxes only allows the recipient to select one.

Can you provide more information on how the checkboxes were added? Did you drag and drop all of them from the left menu or did you select the plus sign under the first one you dragged and dropped?

Are they all the same color as the recipient they are intended for?: Add Fields to Documents

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hello @ytez ,

Are you able to provide the information that I previously requested? If so, please do so in a reply to this question so that I am able to further assist you with your issue.

Best regards,

Hi, sorry information are you asking?

@ytez Based on the original post.  Checkboxes can be added in several manners, so I believe Nathaly was inquiring as to how they were added. For example, when you click and move a Checkbox onto a document you can then click that checkbox and add more checkboxes to the Checkbox Group.  Some individuals will take a checkbox and then grab another checkbox from the field selection in essence creating several checkbox groups instead of two checkboxes within one checkbox group.

Overall, if you set a validation of “select at least” and “1” on a Checkbox Group with 10 checkboxes then the Recipient assigned that checkbox field can select “1” or up to “10” checkboxes in the selection. So the validation is acting as designed. If you want only “1” out of “10” checkboxes then you should the validation as “exactly” and “1” or use the radio button field instead.

In order to better answer or to cover your exact scenario, I would ask for the exact number of checkboxes on the document and what is the expected outcome when a Recipient goes to fill out that field?

Hello @ytez ,

David is correct, would you be so kind to provide the information that I previously requested if your issue still has not been resolved?

Best regards,

I have a similar issue. I created a checkbox group of two boxes, set the validation as “Select Exactly” and “1”, but in previewing the validation, it allows for both boxes to be checked. 

Validation selected allows fields to be required…..
….But, it does not limit the selection to match the validation. 

@D Mathews Although the “validation” is set the Recipient can select both boxes in your example BUT they cannot finish the envelope with those two boxes selected, they will get an error stating the fields that are problematic and direct the Recipient to fix that issue.  You also have the field bubble that shows the expected outcome “Required - Select 1 field”.

Thanks so much, David. While I knew the field bubble was there, I was still concerned about what measures were in place to prevent the recipient from ultimately ignoring the field bubble (which is highly plausible with the guided completion feature; there’s always the balance of ease of completion vs. accuracy, right?!). 

So, knowing the error message will appear is perfect. 

Thanks again.