Skip to main content

I have a user in the company that received an envelope in his email (that has aliases - different emails) but it can’t be found in his envelope list (login in with one of the emails only)

I have the envelope ID but I can’t search by envelope ID, even though I’m admin and ORG admin

How can I solve this issue?

Hello @Luis Vieira

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience, I understand the importance of searching for envelopes sent by other users in a timely manner. I understand that you need to locate an envelope that another user received in their email.

If you have Share Access with Other Users set between the users and if the envelope was sent to the user linked to the account that you both are part of you can use the methods below:

You can use Filters, which allows for a more detailed search for envelopes based on selected criteria. You can use filters with or without a search term or quick view. The default filter returns all envelopes in the Inbox from the last six months, but you can also select a specific folder or quick view and then filter for specific items within that collection. Modify the filter criteria by clicking the Edit link. Using Filters

When searching for specific envelopes on the Manage page, you can search by envelope name, sender and recipient names, recipient email, and envelope ID. You can also search in envelope custom fields for matches to the field values. Wildcard searches are performed by default, but you can use quotation marks for exact matches. You can search in specific collections, folders, or Quick Views. To reset your search, clear the search term from the search box. Additionally, you can limit your search to a single folder or search by envelope ID. If you want to search for envelope custom field values, enable the "Include envelope custom fields" option. Search for Envelopes

There is the option of using the Quick Views, this is a convenient way to filter envelopes based on specific categories. When you choose a Quick View, you will see a list of envelopes that match that category, limited to activity from the past six months. To customize your results, you can use the Filters menu to adjust the time frame, specify the sender, or enter a search term to narrow down the results by envelope name, sender or recipient name, recipient email, or envelope ID. Quick Views can be found below your main Inbox, Sent, and Draft envelopes, and include options such as Action Required, Waiting for Others, Expiring Soon, Completed, and Authentication Failed. Quick Views are also accessible on the Home page. Using Quick Views.

But if the envelope is hosted in a different account, you cannot search for it. You will need to request to your coworker a copy of the envelope.

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific DocuSign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Hi @Luis Vieira,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Thank you for the detailed answer and time replying, but this is not what’s expected from a tool presented to multinational companies

I’m sorry but this is just workaround for a very simple thing and what should be an admin available tool.

I don’t know who the user is…

Lets say that I knew, it doesn’t matter: I can’t have access to his envelopes because they have critical information that I’m not suppose to have access to

I just want to be able to give the system an envelope ID and either the system tells me that the envelope is not in any of the users set in my environment (different companies, different ORGs, different accounts), or it give me the high-level details on the envelope: owner, recipients, dates, status, workflow history

Why do I have to use “shared access”? Particularly if I just have sent by someone that received an email and allegedly was sent to my company set of users?

Why do I have to manage filters that are not “envelope ID” and reports that are not meant for “envelope ID”  driven information, export them to excel and then try to find the envelope ID in Excel?

Also, I hope that this isn’t an advanced feature not included in the environment we already have, considering this is a multi-company, multi ORG, multi-account environment… I don’t know what other type of environment is needed for Docusign to realize this tool is mandatory.

@Luis Vieira

If you are an eSignature Admin, you can access the envelope by envelope ID easily by editing the following URL: https://app.docusign.com/send/documents/details/#ENVELOPE-ID

Replace #ENVELOPE-ID by an actual ID, e.g. 824cc038-1649-45fc-aece-e5f61f9763b1

This only applies to envelopes that were sent from your DocuSign eSignature account. You are not able to access envelopes sent to you via the direct link, as you will not have the required permissions to access them. The user the envelope was sent to will have access via the direct link.

“unable to access envelope”

Because I’m neither the sender or the receiver

I would need to be a part of the envelope workflow in order to look into the envelope

I’m not and this is not whats intended from and ADMIN

Admin’s manage accesses, product setup… not data

But they need tools to support users for an envelope ID basic information, if requested.

Minimum, the system replying: this envelope ID is not related with any of the users in this environment

Without that I’ll always be oblivious on what is happening, if this is in fact an envelope contained in either my users sender or my users receiving/signing (viewers)

“unable to access envelope”

Because I’m neither the sender or the receiver

I would need to be a part of the envelope workflow in order to look into the envelope

That means that the envelope was not sent from your DocuSign account, so externally. Therefore, only the recipient has access to it, as he is part of the envelope workflow.

If the envelope would have been sent from the DocuSign account, where you are an Admin you would be able to access it without being a part in the envelope workflow.

Unsure what support your users expect from you on envelopes that do not origin in your company, but in this rare case it would be probably best to set up a screen sharing session with the user to look into their issue.

If the user has different email aliases, I doubt that he has set up a DocuSign account for every email address. Only those emails sent to the email address that matches the DocuSign account will be visible. If the email was sent to an alias that does not have a DocuSign account assigned to it, the user can only access the envelope through the email link. You cannot move the envelope to a different DocuSign user account unless the envelope was sent from your DocuSign account, which means you have ownership.

yes… that’s how we’re dealing with the issue at this point

If the user has different email aliases, I doubt that he has set up a DocuSign account for every email address. Only those emails sent to the email address that matches the DocuSign account will be visible. If the email was sent to an alias that does not have a DocuSign account assigned to it, the user can only access the envelope through the email link. You cannot move the envelope to a different DocuSign user account unless the envelope was sent from your DocuSign account, which means you have ownership.

this is actually really helpful… thank you!

Hi @Luis Vieira,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,