Skip to main content

Hey Guys, 
I'll try to be brief with an example. I want to use Salesforce to send two documents in one envelope. Each document contains an optional signature field. 

Is there a way to find out which of the documents has been signed after completion via one of the Salesforce records? For example, can I link the signature to an ID and write it back to Salesforce?

I am grateful for any hint! 

Greetings,
Tom​​​​​​​

Hello @TomMiles ,

Welcome to the Docusign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I understand you are looking for a way to determine which of the two documents were signed by maybe linking a signature to an ID and having it writeback.

Based on signature solely I’m sad to say that it is not possible unless you want to manually look at the completed pdf(s) to see which document was signed.

Besides signature, do you have any other fields on the documents that could help decipher which document is being signed? For example, maybe a checkbox at the top of each form (or a dropdown field or something else that would determine which document they want to sign), and force the signer to check which document they’re signing.

If so, that would then drive conditional logic for the signature placement on that document. If you do, then we could write back document-specific data to salesforce to make it easier for you to tell which document was signed.

If you are interested I recommend you create a case with Customer Support and request assistance from our Professional Services team (this might have an extra cost): 

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hi @nathaly.monge , 
thanks for your reply and your help! Please excuse my late reply.

That's sad to hear. So even with the apex toolkit there will be no way to solve this, right?

Regarding the dropdown field. Is there a way to fill the selection options dynamically per envelope? And is there an option for multiselect dropdowns? 

Appreciate your help! I have already contacted support to ask them to enable the merge fields, but to no success. 

Best regards, 
Tom

Hello @TomMiles ,

Thank you for reaching back and don’t worry.

Please find below my answers:

• It could be possible, please allow me to confirm that and I will get back to you.
  • That would depend, how are you expecting it to fill out, using a conditional logic, maybe a merge field?
  • Unfortunately, no, dropdowns allow only one selection.

I believe that the best way would actually be to add a radio button to the top of the document and have them select the document they want to sign, we can also add a conditional logic that hides all the fields and depending on what document they select the fields appear for that document: Define a Conditional Field

Best regards,

@nathaly.monge 

Thanks again for your quick help! I will try your idea with the radio buttons. Sounds like a suitable soluiton! Would it be possible to activate the "allow merge fields" for my Account? I would love to check it out! 

Best regards, 
Tom

@nathaly.monge  
Me again! I am bit exited about your idea! 

Based on your idea, I would have the following solution. 
I create a number of merge fields. For example 3 pieces. 
Depending on how many offers are sent, I place the radio buttons on the respective document via merge fields and anchor tags. Then it would be dynamic and I could plan a number x of offers. 

If this were possible, I would only have to automatically set a condition that only one of the x radio buttons can be selected. 

Best regards, 
Tom

Hello @TomMiles ,

Thank you for reaching back and don’t worry.

The merge fields might be enabled depending on your plan type, however, you would need assistance of a Support agent as it would be a backend setting.

Right, you would need to create a set of radio buttons and create them as merge fields which would allow a wright back to a salesforce field that can help identify the document signed.

I do recommend you create a Support case to have the merge field setting checked and if you would like a walkthrough on how to set up the workflow, support will also be of help: https://support.docusign.com/en/contactSupport 

Best regards,

Hello @nathaly.monge,

thank you for your help! I have already contacted support, but unfortunately they were not very helpful as they will not activate the feature in my trial plan.I created a new account because I just wanted to test whether DocuSign would work for us.

Regardless of this, I have realised that I am not able to create checkbox merge fields with a writeback function. The "writeback" option is greyed out as soon as you want to create a checkbox.

Best regards, 
Tom

Hello @TomMiles ,
Thank you for reaching back.

I’m sorry to hear that, if you are looking to test features out I would recommend you create a demo account, it should have the feature enabled by default and if not, support can enable the feature on a demo account (this account type is completely free): https://go.docusign.com/demo/

Yes, it seems lke an enhancement request was created to add this in the near future, however, another way we can do this is to have the recipient select a radio button depending on the document, and have one of the text fields linked to it and have that write back. 
Let me know if this helps. If you need a little more assistance, please provide more details about what’s going on.

Best regards,
Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

@nathaly.monge 

thanks i will try my luck with the demo account! 

Hello @TomMiles ,
Thank you for reaching back.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator