Skip to main content
We would like to add an employee as a "Receives a Copy" checkpoint but not sign the document. Is there a way to add this "Receives a Copy" as a checkpoint before it sends to the next person to sign?

Yes, first always use Signing Order and use the Receives a Copy recipient type...in the following example it will send the Carbon Copies between each Recipient Signature.

Recipient 1 - Needs to Sign

Recipient 2 - Employee - Recieves a carbon copy

Recipient 3 - Needs to Sign

Recipient 4 - Employee - Recieves a carbon copy

If the above was your envelope workflow, then the Employee would get the carbon copy after the first signature and after the final signature or in DocuSign terms the completed document.

Our Workflow:

Recipient 1: Employee- Receives a carbon Copy

Recipient 2 : Employee - Needs to Sign

Recipient 3 : Employee- Receives a carbon Copy

The Use case is for an offer letter. We need Recipient 1 to double check the offer is correct before it is sent to Recipient 2 to sign. We do NOT want Recipient 1 to sign because we do not have insurance on them signing for company documents. We tried the workflow above and Recipient 1 is not a check point that prevents the document from going to Recipient 2.

Ok, so checkpoint is a pause or suspension of the process before the envelope moves on to the next Recipient. I took the checkpoint as a notification of what the document looks like at the time. SO my recommendation would make that first person a "Needs to View" instead of a carbon copy. This requires the Recipient 1 to open the document and select Continue to complete that portion of the envelope. If they don't select Continue then the envelope doesn't move to Recipient 2.

So this would be the workflow:

Recipient 1: Employee- Needs to View

Recipient 2 : Employee - Needs to Sign

Recipient 3 : Employee- Receives a carbon Copy

One other option is to use "Needs to Sign" for Recipient 1 but add no fields/tags to fill out.

Thanks! I tried to find the "Needs to View" option and it was not an option. Attached is a screenshot of the available options. Thanks for your help.

This could be one of two issues....

1) There is a DocuSign Admin setting under Sending Settings called "Enable needs to view role" (under Recipient Roles section). Speak with a DocuSign Admin to have them enable this checkbox to see if that provides the Needs to View recipient role.

2) It could be a restriction of the DocuSign Account plan, as some features can be restricted or limited based on your DocuSign plan. This would need to be discussed with your DocuSign Account Manager or with DocuSign Support to find out more about features supported under the account plan you have. (But check #1 first)

Using this business case, would it be a cost of just 1 envelope or 3 envelopes? My plan is a subscription of 99999 envelopes and I need to provide directions to my entire corporate users.