Skip to main content

How can I remove the “DRAFT” watermark from document? 

Hey there! It sounds like you might be describing the watermark feature in DocuSign eSignature. If that’s the case, there are two ways to remove the watermark from an in-process envelope in DocuSign. 

Option 1 - Complete the signing process

The first is to complete the signing process. When enabled, the watermark is intended to remain visible throughout the signing process. However, once all the signers have completed their respective portions, the watermark will automatically be removed.  

Option 2 - Disable watermarking entirely

If you’re an administrator for the account in question, you can check out the following walkthrough video to see about managing the watermark feature, including disabling it altogether. The steps are as follows:

1. From the DocuSign homepage, select Settings in the nav bar.
  2. In the left sidebar, select Signing Settings
  3. At the top portion of the Signing Settings page, select Watermark Configuration.
  4. Uncheck the Apply watermarks to documents that are still in progress checkbox

I hope that helps! Be sure to “Select as Best" below if you find my answer a valid solution to your issue! 

Thank you.  This was a document that was sent to me to sign.  Everyone signed but watermark did not leave.  I followed your steps and the watermark box is not checked. Yet the watermark is still there.  Does the original sender have to remove it? 

Sure thing! There are two possibilities here that spring to mind, based on the additional detail you’ve provided. 

The first possibility continues to presume that the watermark is being applied by DocuSign.

If this is the case, it is possible that there is some final stage of the agreement process that is still pending completion. If the original sender isn’t a part of the same DocuSign account, they would need to be the ones to clear the checkbox I described above.

We can rule this possibility out if you have received a notification from DocuSign that the document is completed. 

---

The second possibility is that the “Draft” watermark may have been on the original document uploaded into DocuSign for signature by the sender.

If this is the case, there is unfortunately no way to remove the watermark through DocuSign and an un-watermarked version of the document would be re-circulated for signature to achieve the desired outcome.

Thank you for all the information.