Skip to main content
Question

Change text in single field based on drop down selection

• 13 September 2024
  • 2 replies

I am looking to update a hidden (white text) field we use on the back end for document storage based on dropdown user selection. I need to use a single “Doc ID” field, the hidden one, so I’m not sure how to use conditional logic. The data label on my hidden field must be “Doc ID” for the next downstream action to take place. If I have multiple “Doc ID” fields, they will all have the same value. 

In the snip below, the user selects the document type they’re attaching in box 1 and I want box 2 to populate with the corresponding Doc ID. The “crosswalk for test” box shows user selections and Doc ID. Any ideas how to accomplish this? 

Hi,

Im sure there are many ways to do this but this is what i do.

You need to have three different boxes for box 2.  For Box 1, have three conditional fields.

One for each choice.  Place these fields on top of each other, not like i have them.  see below.

preview shows if you choose high school in box 1 it shows the corresponding box 2 etc.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Thanks for mocking that up so I can see this potential solution! I tried it but am getting stuck on the 3 different box 2’s. I need box 2 to have the same Data Label in order for the next part of the process to work - document capture for storage. Once I give them the same Data Label, the content becomes the same on each of the 3 boxes. Normally the data replication across fields with the same Data Label is a wonderful time saving, consistency feature. In this instance I wish I could turn it off. But I want that feature for all my other envelope templates. 

I tried giving the student’s drop down selection the needed Data Label, so I can get all options in one field. I edited the drop down value to be different from the option users select. Student sees “high school transcript” and the value on the back end is “HST”. I was excited about that working but my tests showed it didn’t work. I need to partner with our Integrations team to see what they’re looking for and sending. If they can use the Value instead of the Option, I may be in business.