Skip to main content
Question

Bulk Send Error DocGen creation failed

• 12 September 2024
  • 5 replies

I am trying to do a bulk send but I keep getting this error on all of my entries.

DocGen creation failed. DocGen creation failed.  One or more validation errors occurred.

I used the template provided for the bulk send.
Anyone have any insight in as to why this is happening?

This is the reply I got from Docusign support. I asked for clarification on what steps to take first as this email was very long and not useful. If anyone else has any additional support that would be great.

Hello Tara,

Thank you for contacting Docusign Customer Support. This is Matt.

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem on your docusign account for bulk sending. But rest assured that I am here to help and resolve this matter for you.

Here in DocuSign, we want to make sure we'd be able to address all of your account concerns and provide you a quality customer experience.

Kindly check if any of these limitations might have been the error on your document:

Limitations and Considerations for Document Generation

Limitations

Document generation is a new feature, and there are some limitations in this early stage. Docusign will continue to develop this feature, and potentially address some of these limitations in future releases.

Note: Many of these limitations apply specifically to the Agreement Template Builder for Document Generation, which is an option for creating documentation generation template.

Supported file types

You can only use a .docx file to create a template for document generation. You cannot use the agreement template builder if you use any additional file types in your template.

Uploading documents with syntax

Word documents containing document generation syntax must be uploaded using the Docusign Template Assistant for Word as described in this help topic. If you attempt to upload a document with syntax directly to a Docusign template, the syntax will not be recognized.

5 Documents per template

The template builder supports up to 5 documents per template. (No set limit for the Template Assistant add-on.)

Local file source

Documents for agreement template builder must originate from a local storage source. You cannot upload files to your template from cloud sources, such as Google Drive.

Supported languages

The agreement template builder does not support the following languages: Japanese, Korean, Chinese (traditional & simplified)

PowerForms

Document generation does not support PowerForms.

Field types

For the limited availability release, the agreement template builder supports the following sender field types: Text, Number, Dropdown, and Date. For the Date field, the agreement template builder currently supports MM/dd/yyyy. The template assistant supports three date formats.

Headers and footers

The agreement template builder does not preserve headers and footers present in uploaded .docx files. If your documents have this feature, use the template assistant to prepare and upload your document to a template. See the topic Docusign Template Assistant for Word.

Access to form data

For the initial release, the document generation field data entered by the sender is not accessible for separate download.

Direct template use only

Document generation templates created with the agreement template builder cannot be applied to an envelope document. The template must be used directly to create the envelope.

Correcting

When correcting an envelope, once a recipient finishes signing, or if the first recipient in the routing order is a Receives a Copy (CC) recipient, you can no longer edit the document generation form data. Likewise, you cannot add another document generation template to the envelope in this scenario.

Other considerations

Here is some additional information to consider before you develop document generation documents and templates.

Account setting

The Sending Settings for Enable Agreement Template Builder must be enabled for your account by your account administrator. This account setting is documented in this administrator guide on template usage settings.

User permissions

There are no unique document generation user permissions. The permissions required to create or use document generation templates are the same as for standard templates. See the Templates section of the Permission Profile Options guide.

Bulk send

Document generation supports bulk send, allowing you to use a document generation template and import a bulk list to send many envelopes at once. With bulk send, The sender does not enter custom data in a data-entry form prior to sending. Instead, the values for the document generation data fields come from the uploaded bulk send list. See the Bulk Send With Document Generation guide.

Sender field data is limited to a single document

Sender field data does not replicate across template documents. For example, if a user is sending a template that has two documents, each with a sender field called “Address”, they will have to fill out the value of Address twice in the web form filling page.

In addition, sender fields are specific to a single file. If you add a sender field to one template document, it can be repeated in that document, but it is not available to add to any other documents in the template.

Let me know if there is anything else that I may help you with. Please don't hesitate to reply on this email.

Thank you for using Docusign.

Best regards,

Matt | Docusign Customer Support

Hi @AHCR,

Thank you for reaching out to the Docusign Community.  

I appreciate you taking the time of sharing our Support Expert’s answer with regards to this issue. Have you tested if one of these limitations is causing the error?

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Hi @AHCR,

Thank you for reaching out to the Docusign Community.  

I appreciate you taking the time of sharing our Support Expert’s answer with regards to this issue. Have you tested if one of these limitations is causing the error?

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Best regards,

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

When you are new to Docusign and never done a bulk upload all of the instructions provided are extremely overwhelming and confusing. I don’t even know where to start. This was why I opened a ticket with support. 

Hi @AHCR,

Thank you for following up.

I understand your position, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the format of the answer given by our Support Expert. 

Sending a Bulk Batch is similar to creating an envelope with an existing template but it differs on the way you add your recipients.

There are 2 options to add recipients to your Bulk Batch, using a customized CSV file, or by adding them manually. You can pick the option that works best for you during the Add recipients step of the envelope creation process. 

If you picked the option to enter your recipients manually, you will have available spaces to add up to 5 recipients by default, and can add more spaces by clicking the plus sign at the bottom of the screen.

In the case that you might prefer to use a CSV file, you will need to pick the option to “Upload a CSV instead”, after clicking the Bulk Send CSV option.

I would also recommend you to watch this tutorial, where you will be able to see this process in action:

Docusign eSignature: How to Send an Envelope Using Bulk Send

More information on this topic can be found, here:

Bulk Send From a Template
Please don’t hesitate in scheduling a live contact (screen sharing session, phone call) with the Support Expert assigned to your case if you would prefer a hands on approach to troubleshooting this error, and we will gladly lend a hand as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Hi @AHCR,

Thank you for following up.

I understand your position, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the format of the answer given by our Support Expert. 

Sending a Bulk Batch is similar to creating an envelope with an existing template but it differs on the way you add your recipients.

There are 2 options to add recipients to your Bulk Batch, using a customized CSV file, or by adding them manually. You can pick the option that works best for you during the Add recipients step of the envelope creation process. 

If you picked the option to enter your recipients manually, you will have available spaces to add up to 5 recipients by default, and can add more spaces by clicking the plus sign at the bottom of the screen.

In the case that you might prefer to use a CSV file, you will need to pick the option to “Upload a CSV instead”, after clicking the Bulk Send CSV option.

I would also recommend you to watch this tutorial, where you will be able to see this process in action:

Docusign eSignature: How to Send an Envelope Using Bulk Send

More information on this topic can be found, here:

Bulk Send From a Template
Please don’t hesitate in scheduling a live contact (screen sharing session, phone call) with the Support Expert assigned to your case if you would prefer a hands on approach to troubleshooting this error, and we will gladly lend a hand as soon as possible.

Best regards,

The adding of the recipeints wasn’t an issue at all. I used the CSV template. The issue is I got this error on every person I tried to send to. DocGen creation failed. DocGen creation failed.  One or more validation errors occurred.

No one is giving me any insight into why this occured. I have watched the videos and followed all of the steps. If someone could point me in the direction of steps to take to clear these errors that would be great.