Skip to main content

Hi,

Is it possible to check the current template in a CLM template and then show language on the output document?

For example, I’d like to have the following conditions in both “MSA” and “Amendment” templates. However, I’d like to show the required wording based on the current template name.

If current template = “MSA” show “This is an MSA”

If current template = “Amendment” show“This is an Amendment”

Thanks.

Hi!

If by template you mean a CLM document generation (doc gen) template, then yes it would be possible to show this language on the generated document. However, I have to make some assumptions or you can provide some more details regarding your setup. 

Assuming you have each intake form built as separate individual doc gen form, then to accomplish:

• Add one text field per doc gen form. This field will contain the language to display on the generated document as default language. 
  • On your word document template, add the merge field for both of the added fields. Wherever the merge field is added, the language will display in the output document but only one set of language will display at a time.
  • Optionally, this field can be hidden on the doc gen form so it doesn’t display to the user until generation. 

Assuming you have the intake form built as a single doc gen form which will handle both contract types:

• Assuming you already have a field capturing Contract Type, then you would need to add two text fields total.
  • Each field will contain the individual language for displaying in the document. 
  • On one field, add a condition that shows the field only when Contract Type = MSA.
  • On the other field, add a condition that shows the field only when Contract Type = Amendment. 
  • In your word document template, add both merge fields to your word document template. Only one set of language will display.
  • Optionally, hide both fields on the doc gen form.

Note that, there are other ways to accomplish this. You can also use conditional merge tags directly in your word document template that show the correct language to display based on the contract type. The language is built into the document template itself and not in the doc gen form.

Hope this provides you with some good options for moving forward! 

Kelly

HI Kelly,

Thanks. I have one doc gen config that has 2 templates: MSA and Amendment. I’d like to have the same contents on both templates:

If current template = “MSA” show “This is an MSA”

If current template = “Amendment” show“This is an Amendment”

Based on the the template chosen at the time of document generation, the conditional logic should show the relevant language. 

How could I check the template name?

Thanks for your guidance!

Thank you for clarifying. You cannot build a condition just based on the template chosen or the template name. It must be based on a field on the form itself of the chosen template.

These options from my above comment still apply assuming you have at least one field indicating the Contract Type on the form itself: 

• Add one text field per doc gen form. This field will contain the language to display on the generated document as default language. 
  • On your word document template, add the merge field for both of the added fields. Wherever the merge field is added, the language will display in the output document but only one set of language will display at a time.
  • Optionally, this field can be hidden on the doc gen form so it doesn’t display to the user until generation.

Or:

• You can also use conditional merge tags directly in your word document template that show the correct language to display based on the contract type. The language is built into the document template itself and not in the doc gen form. The conditional merge tags will wrap the language in the document. 

If interested in learning more about how to accomplish this, we do go over a similar scenario in our CLM Advanced Document generation class which you can sign up for at this link: https://dsucustomers.docusign.com/docusign-clm-advanced-document-generation

Hope this helps!

I was looking for a way to check for the template name / template chosen. Based on your feedback, it appears that is not possible. Thanks.

There might be a solution where you have a hidden field populate when the template name is chosen on the intake form.