Question

Third party app integration envelope usage

Badge +1

Hi, 

I have integrated an application with DocuSign using the Apps and Integration keys in DocuSign, everything is working however when I promoted the app to Production it required an Admin to login and approve it but now the envelopes sent via the app are being allocated to the admin login whereas I had created the app under a service account and had hoped the envelope usage would be allocated to this account.  Is there any way to accomplish this?

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@md1

Yes, this is possible as you are talking about two different topics that are actually unrelated

1. Promoting the integrator key to production requires to have Admin privileges in production, as you correctly described. This is only required once to move the integration key and unrelated to envelopes sent via the integration afterwards.

2. After the integration key is created your app needs to authenticate against the DocuSign API. The user credentials used for this authentication in your app is also the sender. Did you use JWT for authentication? Then you need to check and replace the user id that is part of the authentication with your service account. Same applies to the Auth Code Grant, which would run in a user context, but could be configured to use the service user account.

Badge +1

@Michael.Rave we are using JWT, I tried swapping the Admin User ID with the sender user ID in the integration config but I get an error now, could you show me what exactly I need to swap on the app config, currently I have the user ID, API Account ID, Integration key and the Private Key configured, what should be switched the account I want to send with?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@md1

Only the user ID needs to be changed, all other values can stay the same.

The error message was probably related to missing consent? That is one step that you did during the initial set up of JWT and needs to be repeated for the user ID that you now want to use in the integration.

As an alternate option you can grant admin consent for internal applications in your organisation to the integrator key that is used here. Then you don’t need individual consent to be set up, as the application is flagged as trusted for your account.

If you receive a different error message, please post this here in order to support you further. Thank you!

Badge +1

@Michael.Rave would it be possible to get on a quick call? I looked at the grant admin consent link but it appears to be out-of-date as I do not see these options in the DocuSign Admin portal, I think this option would be ideal as if I understand you correctly it allows any user to leverage the app.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@md1 

I am not available to jump on a call, but quickly checked in my environment and I can see “Connected Apps” there, which is were you can select “Authorize Application” and add your integrator key to consent for all.

Maybe your DocuSign plan does not include this feature? This is not in the DocuSign eSignature Settings, but in the DocuSign Admin, which is set up to manage the organisation and where you can set up SSO.

Your screenshot looks like DocuSign demo environment and the integrator key is “not correct or disabled“. No change is required here anyway. You need to change the user id only in the app that generates the JWT token, which is the app you built. I think you wrote before that it was promoted to production? Maybe this is related to the error message here if you tried to change something, which is not required to be done here.

Badge +1

Yes I noticed the screenshot I sent was misleading because the config had reverted back to demo so please ignore that.  What is the URL for the admin portal where you are seeing ‘Connected Apps’?  I was in admin.docusign.com but now realize that may not be the same admin portal you are referring to?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

admin.docusign.com is the correct URL for production and admindemo.docusign.com for demo.

You should be able to switch to Admin from the DocuSign eSignature on the top left:

Badge +1

I don’t see the Admin option like that shown so I am contacting DocuSign support to see if they can enable this for us.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I don’t see the Admin option like that shown so I am contacting DocuSign support to see if they can enable this for us.

Then either the account has not been connected to an organisation or your DocuSign plan does not support it. DocuSign Support will be able to check if your account is eligible and guide you through the setup of the organisation and linking existing DocuSign accounts.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @md1,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.