Skip to main content
Question

What if Signhere Positions are not Provided?

• 10 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello Everyone, 

I’m trying to build an embedded signing workflow. I’ve achieved the signing workflow for a document. But I’m trying a scenario where I will not mention x and y positions for the signer. In the documentation it is given that docusign gives me toolbox to drag and drop for the signature.

Common API Tasks🐈: Let your signers decide where to place the tabs for you (docusign.com)

when I tried that it is throwing an error.

and when I remove the attributes then it is automatically placing signature tab at the top of the doc.

my payload:

{
  "recipient": {
    "signers":
           {
        "email": "test1@gmail.com",
        "name": "test1",
        "clientUserId": "1",
        "recipientId": "1",
        "signHere": {
          "documentId": "1",
          "pageNumber": "1",
          "xPosition": "string",
          "yPosition": "string"
        },
        "routingOrder": "1"
    }
    ]
  },
  "document":{
  "documentBase64": "base64",
  "documentId": "1",
  "fileExtension": "pdf",
  "name": "pdfName.pdf"
}
}

and response is :- 

"status": 500,
"error": "Internal Server Error",
"trace": "java.lang.RuntimeException: com.docusign.esign.client.ApiException: Error while requesting server, received a non successful HTTP code 400 with response Body: '{\"errorCode\":\"INVALID_REQUEST_PARAMETER\",\"message\":\"The request contained at least one invalid parameter. Integer value expected for parameter: 'xPosition'\"}

@Dileep_123 

The error is related to providing the xPosition and yPosition attributes without a proper integer value.

If you want to use “Freeform signing” so that the recipient is able to position fields on the document you are not allowed to add any field for that recipient. Some features like document visibility to not allow this.

I have not seen Freeform signing being used with embedded signing, as you provide the document you should be able to position the signature field as well. If you don’t have. a fixed position, have a look at auto-place to dynamically position the fields.

See this Docusign Support article on Freeform Signing.