Skip to main content

​With how successful DocuSign is, I feel like this must be a very silly question...

I am interested in DocuSign, but I'm wondering why it's necessary?

Often​ for work when I have to sign something, I'll just open the document with Microsoft word, sign it on my touchscreen laptop or tablet, then send it back to the office...

Now with touchscreens, I can sign any document either in Adobe, or Microsoft office etc. So why is DocuSign necessary? Are other digitally signed documents not legal?

Why would I need this software when you can essentially sign anything using almost any software?

Sorry​ if this is a silly question, but I've been trying to research it online and haven't found a good explanation anywhere as to why this service isn't totally redundant.

Thank​ you,

Security alone is the reason I would suggest DocuSign....

Security.....in the form of data storage, tamper resistance, audit history.

Workload management

Features and functionality - bulk send, Templates, Powerforms to name a few I use

Reliability - 99.99% uptime

Access - available via any browser and via mobile devices

Security, to me, is of the utmost importance and having the certifications, data replication, audit history of the entire electronic transaction is vital. It doesn't seem possible with just using document software like Word. You could password protect it, you could try to make it tamper proof, but in the end you would have to try to keep a complete email or paper audit of that process and probably wouldn't hold up to legal standards. In my time I have seen and heard of formulas being altered and tampering with the electronic copies of the "final" document and even manipulation of paper documents with scanners, printers and the like.

The information here I think is relevant.

https://www.docusign.com/trust

Just my thoughts.