Skip to main content

I have to send a file signed with Docusign to one of my clients, who will then add their stamp onto the file via Adobe Acrobat. When I send them the file, they tell me they cannot add the stamp since the document has been protected by Docusign automatically. Is this normal behavior? How can clients add their Adobe stamps onto Docusign issued files?

P.S: I usually download the signed file first, then attach it onto an email to the clients

Many thanks in advance

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.

I understand you are trying to send a document previously signed via DocuSign to a client, so they can add a stamp on it using Adobe, but it is not allowing them to do so.

To answer your question, yes, this is a normal behavior, the option to get a signature in DocuSign and then another in Adobe will not be possible as it can invalidate the first signature, I don't think a digital signature solution supports preserving signatures obtained through a different system. In most cases, the 2nd system invalidates the digital signatures obtained by the 1st system, which is the case for DocuSign. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hi,

I'm not sure you'll be happy with my answer :)

First of all, why are you using DocuSign this way?

The most common and valuable way to sign documents in DocuSign is to build the entire signing flow in DocuSign, including all the recipients who should receive a copy of the signed documents. 

As a result, the process is the most transparent and you have a document that proves how it was signed, by whom, etc. You have all this information in the summary file.

Yes, it is normal system behaviour that documents signed in DocuSign are protected by the DocuSign digital seal and you should not allow this seal to be corrupted as it guarantees you that the document has not been altered by anyone.

It is possible to ask DocuSign to disable the digital seal on your account (it may depend on the plan you are using), but you will be forced to use Advanced Electronic Signature as a minimum (or another SBS digital signature such as ICP Brasil or QES).

Simly ask your clients to sign document in DocuSign (they don't need DocuSign account for that). It is also possible to use digital stamp in DocuSign (this may depend on the plan you are using).

Best regards

Tomasz

Hi,

I understand the security and your reasoning. It is hard to see a case where you as a company want a private customer to sign and they would not be able to sign through DocuSign too.

The troublesome case is when you are business to business. An other business is not just gonna be fine with an employee making a user in a third-party system and signing on behalf of the company. We unfortunately got many partners which are using Adobe instead to sign documents. They are not able to counter sign our documents from DocuSign. It is not an option for them to switch or adopt DocuSign. So now we have to quit DocuSign to comply with their way of signing documents. This has been a costly experience due to lost time and frustrations in getting contracts signed.

So a solution that would allow for this way of adding another signature on top of the whole document would be a much appreciated feature.

/thomas