Skip to main content

Hoping someone can help. Is there a way to configure DocuSign so that it does not prepend filenames with “Complete_with_DocuSign” upon signature or download. I often have the filenames exactly as I want them, sometimes quite long, and they get truncated when DocuSign prepends the filename. When I download the combined document + summary I then have to rename the files back to what they were before they were uploaded. This is busy work I’d rather avoid. Is there a way to turn this off?

Hello, @ChrisW 

Welcome to the DocuSign Community!

You can try these two ways:

1. When sending a new envelope, goes to the subject field then remove the “Complete with DocuSign:” phrase replacing for something that you prefer instead. In general, the document name will show up there.

2. Another way is using a Template to send your envelopes.
    You can predefine the Subject field in the template, adding another text like your company name so when you send an envelope from that template the subject will not have the Complete with DocuSign: phrase, but your company name instead so you can complete with the subject that you want.

I hope that helps.

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre, 

Thanks for your advice. I’m still struggling to get DocuSign to do what I want though.

Consider this simple scenario:

1. I upload a document called “filename.pdf” that I wish to sign myself, no other signatories involved.
  2. I sign it as normal and finish the signing process.
  3. When offered to share via a share dialogue I choose not to share. (The same happens if I edit the subject line in this dialogue BTW.)
  4. When I look in my inbox the subject is still “Complete with DocuSign: filename.pdf”.
  5. When I click download (and combine the document and certificate of completion into one PDF as that’s usually what I want for archiving) I get a file called “Complete with DocuSign: filename.pdf”

I’d love to know where this prepended text is coming from and how to stop it.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hi @ChrisW,

Thank you for sharing more details on your use case.

Based on your description of the issue, I understand that you are expecting the text entered in the pop up displayed after signing to show as part of your email’s subject.

This is not possible during this step, but can be accomplished during the envelope creation process by editing the email subject, as mentioned by @Alexandre.Augusto

After you have uploaded your document you can edit your envelope’s email notification body and subject at the bottom of the screen, or during the Add a Message step, after entering your recipient details. This applies to the template creation workflow as well.

For more details on this topic, see:

Add a Message to All Recipients

I would  also like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue after utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using Docusign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Hi Alejandro,

I’m not sure you’ve understood my issue at all -- perhaps I’m not explaining it well so I’ll have another go…

DocuSign changes the filenames of all the PDFs I upload for signing by prepending the text string  “Complete_with_DocuSign” to the filenames of the PDFs before they are sent back -- I do not want this behaviour.

When I have a PDF with a long filename, prepending it with this default text string causes the filename of the PDF to be truncated losing information from the end of the filename. I then have to manually rename the file back to what it was after I have downloaded the signed version -- I do not want to have to do this either.

It’s a small thing but it’s maddening to have to do it every time I sign a document. I would dearly love to know how to stop this from happening.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hi @ChrisW,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I understand your concern, however, the only available option to edit the completed document name is by using a custom subject in your envelope’s email. 

It is important to note that, this will not apply to documents where the completed PDFs are combined with the envelope’s Certificate of Completion. Nevertheless, feedback that can improve our users’ experience is always welcome. I encourage you to consider submitting your idea to be reviewed by our development team for possible implementation. If you’re a Docusign Administrator for a corporate plan, you have the additional option of filing your request through a support case, or by reaching out to your Account Team. We invite you to share your product suggestions and feature requests on our dedicated ideas page (https://community.docusign.com/ideas), where we can collaborate to shape the future of our product together.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Thanks for you reply Alejandro.

I don’t have any templates set up at the moment. I’m assuming there is a default template in use? Can the output of the default template be altered?

It’s odd though that even when email is taken out of the equation entirely i.e. where a file is manually uploaded, signed and then downloaded, but not sent by email, the file name is still prepended and altered?

What I do not understand is why the filename of a signed PDF and the subject line of an email need to be equivalent and/or harmonised if they are different. I could understand why someone might wish to append a file name to an email subject line in some cases but it boggles the mind why someone would think that a filename should be changed to match an email subject line -- they are two entirely different things.

A checkbox somewhere in settings the says “Do not alter filenames when signing or sending” would be helpful here. 

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hi @ChrisW,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I empathize with your position, and I agree that a toggle that would manage this behavior will be the most user friendly way to approach the issue.

We will gladly take your suggestion into consideration, feel free to email your idea to feedback@docusign.com

Or, create a new support case (if you are the administrator of a corporate account) to have a new Enhancement Request created on your behalf.

As always, don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime and I will lend a hand as soon as possible. 

Best regards,