Skip to main content

Hi all,

I’m trying to create a template whereby there may sometimes be fields I need to complete before sending to the client for signing. But also sometimes I won’t need to change anything.

I have added a read only text box but the only way I can assign this to myself for completion is to add myself as a recipient and then allocate ‘needs to sign’. But I don’t need to sign! I just need to be able to add some text sometimes before sending.

In a nut shell, I don’t want to be signing every document I send, I just want to amend every now and again (without having to edit the template each time).

I hope that makes sense, can anyone help? I’ve watched so many youtube videos but still can’t find anything.

Hello @Pmosedale,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience, I know the importance of having an easy option to have minimal changes in an envelope template before it is sent, I understand that you want to know if there is a workaround to make these changes without adding you to the account.

If you are an account Admin, there is an option in the sending settings called "When an envelope is sent, write the initial value of the fields for all recipients", what this does is that any value that you write in any field will be shown to all of the recipients regardless to who the field is assigned to.

Please see Fields and Properties, for more information. 

Do you know if that option is checked on your account? If you are not an Admin please reach out to one of them.

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific DocuSign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

@Pmosedale, I know exactly what you're talking about. Here is how I made it work:

The first role labeled “Completing Form” is set as NEEDS TO SIGN. The user “sends” the envelope to themselves first to fill in the form, but you’re not required to include an actual signature field for that user. The form fields are assigned to that user.

The second, third, etc. roles set as NEEDS TO SIGN are “Approver1”, “Approver2”, etc., and they do have signature fields in the form.

Beyond that, additional roles set as RECEIVES A COPY allow you to automatically cc departments/individuals as needed.

Hello @Pmosedale,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience, this is a follow-up on your post, was the information provided useful? Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Thank you @DSmidwestuser for the information provided.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.