Skip to main content

We sometimes have documents that follow a workflow, i.e. someone initiates the document, the first colleague signs it, the next colleague fills something out in the document to be signed and also signs it, the third colleague fills something out in the document and also signs it.
How can this be mapped with DocuSign?
A document that has been sent for signature can no longer be changed.
Do I then have to take the detour that the second colleague downloads the document, makes his changes and sends it to the third colleague for signature, who in turn downloads the document, adds his changes and signs it?

And another question was whether I can see somewhere in the certificate which documents an envelope contains.

@Carina Ehrmann

You can add fields, e.g. text fields to the document and assign them to the recipient that should fill in data. This can also be signer 2 or signer 3, if you assign the fields to them when creating the envelopes. This is the same process as adding signature and date signed fields, but not restricted to these field types.

You are not able to change the underlying document, as it will be converted to PDF when uploading it to DocuSign eSignature. The fields will overlay the PDF document and become a part of it when the recipient completed signing.

The Certificate of Completion (CoC) and the documents are linked via the DocuSign Envelope ID that is shown at the top left on your documents and references in the CoC, unless the default account configuration has been changed to allow positioning of the Envelope ID on the document.

Thank you very much for the quick reply, that helped me a lot!

With regard to the question of whether I can see somewhere in the certificate which documents an envelope contains, I am not quite sure how I will know which documents are contained in the certificate. The documents all have a name when I upload them to the envelope. Can I see this name somewhere in the certificate? If not, how can I make it clear which documents are included?

@Carina Ehrmann 

The document names are not part of the CoC. By default they are included in the email subject line which is a part of the CoC, but this can be changed.

The envelope ID is the data field that connects the entire transaction and are the same in the CoC and on the documents. As you can rename the documents after they have been signed, the document name in the CoC and of the actual document could be different.

Just looking at the CoC you cannot tell which documents belong to the transaction.

The question about identifying which docs are included in an envelope is of great interest to me. It’s something that’s troubled me for quite some time.

Can we submit an improvement request for this?

It would be good if the system email inviting me to review and sign listed the docs on separate lines instead of one text string. The more docs included, the more difficult it is to check what’s included. The same list of docs would also be useful in the CoC.

Also, in ‘Manage’ when I open an envelope I see who has or is yet to sign the envelope docs and I see doc icons down the side of the window. However, I can’t read the doc numbers. Can the side bar with icons be set-up to allow it to be stretched so complete doc numbers can be viewed and can a list of docs be included, as requested for emails and CoC?

Thx

@Michael.Rave 

Thank you very much for your feedback! So I have to include the document name in the subject line to know which documents the envelope contains.

@Michael Cowie  

I think your suggestion is very good. The platform is really great, but I can see room for improvement here.