Skip to main content

When i put tags in the document, I generally need to include some text or data (i.e. a price for the agreement).  This seems like an incredibly basic question, but i can't seem to do this correctly so that my clients who receive the document can see what i've entered in the space.  

For example, I'm sending to a husband and wife who will need to sign, as will I.  Generally I make sure the user on the upper right hand side of the docusign is on me, not my clients, then I add a text box (data field in the old version) and type in $1000.  When i send it to the client, they still see a blank.  If i add the text box as one of my clients, presumably anyone else on the envelope wouldn't be able to see it (their spouse, etc). What am I doing wrong?  Thanks!!

Most likely you've assigned the fields to yourself in a higher Order/signing position than the other recipients. Let's say the husband and wife are both Order 1 and you are recipient number 3 at Order 2. Any fields associated with yourself at Order 2 will NOT be visible to the recipients at Order 1. DocuSign considers those recipients and fields as not being on the envelope until they have been reached in the signing order. This prevents recipients further up the path from being notified for every envelope change until they are actually on the envelope.

If you want your recipients to see those fields there are three ways to do it. The first and most common is to simply add yourself into the signature path again. Put yourself at Order 1 and 3, with your clients at Order 2. The info fields are with recipient 1 and the signature fields with your second recipient entry. That way the fields have been applied to the envelope before your clients need to sign but you still sign afterward. 

Additionally you could assign those fields to your clients and simply set them as "Read Only" so that the clients change modify any of the values.

Finally you could set the fields as (https://support.docusign.com/guides/ndse-user-guide-collaborative-fields) Collobarative   and then all recipients are active on those fields.

Hope this helps

I run into the same problem. Your answer makes sense. But my signing order is the same for every signer. Now how do I make it right?