Skip to main content

​I have the character limit is set to 4000; however, I am only allowed to type as much will fit in the text box size drawn.

Did you set the "Fixed Width" checkbox on that field text? "Fixed width" is a parameter setting on a text field (right panel) that if enabled will limit the information added to the size of the DocuSign field and it cannot expand if the text box is smaller than the allowed characters. So your options are to disable "fixed width" on the fields or expand the size of the text box to accommodate more characters. Typically the reason you enable "fixed width" is so that the Recipient cannot go past the restraints of the text field so they do not add text that overlaps other fields or even document text.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I contacted support and they mentioned the same thing about the fixed width for the box. This unfortunately was not checked for any of the text fields and character limits were set to 5000. They informed me this is a known bug for DocuSign and it is being addressed by the engineering team. No ETA for when it will be fixed.

Thanks for the update and information. I guess I have never run into this situation as I typically change the background document if it requires a large amount of space for text accommodating for up to the 4000 character limit if really needed. Also if there is that much possible text you could use the "Attachment" tag and have the Recipient upload or attach a separate PDF or Word just as an alternative option to your situation.

I’m having the same problem and I do not have fixed width checked. It is only allowing 13 characters before it wraps around

If the height of the text box is more than 1 row, then the field does not expand. The text only wraps in that case and only allows as much text as can fit based on the physical size (width and height) of the field.

Did this bug get fixed? Fixed width is not checked and the char limit is 4000 but can only add characters that fits the size of the box. It cannot be resized by the recipient.

This bug doesn't seem to be resolved yet . In our use case We are unable to capture the full company name , its getting truncated.Fixed width not checked, 4000 char limit set .Any one has any workaround please?

was this issue ever resolved?

WORKAROUND: I am using on an iPad Pro and have been encountering this problem for years and have contacted DocuSign without it having been fixed. No drag handles appear as they are supposed to and no numeric width seems to able to be assigned after creation of the text box field. I have learned of a hassle of a workaround which is to click the icon on the left side menu bar that looks like a yellow rectangle with a wrench overlaid on it. That will bring up the “Custom Fields” menu. Click the “+” immediately next to the words “Custom Fields”. You will need to create a unique name for the object. Be careful as I am not sure if tis could pull data from one form to the next so use a unique name for each field on each form or within the same form - I haven’t experimented on this recently but I remember running into some trouble with it somehow once before a long time ago. One of the choices for the new object is “Width” so play with that 1round 100, 150, 200 to see what you like. Also, pre-set your font size, font name and field height now as some or all of this might not be editable later - again I haven’t fully explored that. Hope this helps and keep on DocuSign to fix regular text box width editing will eventually get made to work properly !Screen shot to add Custom Field of text with special width

I am having a similar problem, the size of my text box is certainly large enough to accomodate more characters but the limit cannot be expanded. 

I am having the same problem. It says I have 4000 character limit but the recipient is telling me that the text box is not expanding.