Skip to main content

I recently uploaded an updated version of a template to an existing template. While I was able to do so without any issues, after doing so, it appears that the bulk send functionality is encountering an error. While I am able to upload a bulk send list and it imports without any error, when I click "Next," I receive this error message:

"This recipient type must have a name and email address."

When I click the back button in the upper left, I see an additional error message:

The email address for the recipient is invalid. The recipient Id follows. Invalid Email: multiBulkRecipients-Program-Contact-(Partner)@docusign.com

I am fairly confident this is not an issue on my end at this point. Any guidance would be appreciated!

A few questions:

1) What were the changes to the Template? Sounds like it was working before with bulk send and now the error with the changes made to the Template.

2) How many rows in the Bulk Send and have you tried splitting it to see if one record is causing the issue or as you mentioned more of a Template or DocuSign issue?

I would try splitting the file down the middle and they try each half to see if you get the error on both halves of the file. If not it denotes something in one of the files that could be triggering the error. (defect or unusual email address perhaps?)

A new pdf was uploaded using the "Replace" option. No other changes were made.

I am getting the error regardless of the records that are present. I have tried pulling down a new sample bulk template and populating it with records that have worked in previous bulk uploads and also experimented with only doing one row of data. I still get the same error.

Well looks like you did many of the things I would have tried. Only other thing I could suggest would be to add back the old document to the Template. If you get the same error, I would suggest creating a DocuSign Support case to see if they could further diagnose. (add the resolution to the thread for future reference for Community)

Thanks. I'll submit a support ticket and try to remember to circle back and update this thread.

It turns out the issue stemmed from the title of certain roles in the signing order that had parentheses in them (e.g. "Signer (Partner)").

When using bulk send, Docusign creates a proxy bulk send e-mail address that uses these titles (e.g. multiBulkRecipients-Program-Contact-(Partner)@docusign.com). However, Docusign does not like parentheses in e-mail addresses, so this created the issue. What is strange is that we have successfully been using the bulk send functionality with titles that include parentheses for months prior to this error popping up, so I am not sure what changed. Either way, we changed the titles in the signing order to remove parentheses and can now proceed with the bulk send.

Excellent, and thanks for posting the resolution. Will help future users of the Bulk Send avoid those characters.