Skip to main content
How does a designated signer sign?

Hi ,

Thank you for reaching out to the DocuSign Community.

If you are referring to the Delegated Signing feature, the active delegate receives notifications for every envelope sent to you to sign, giving them access to view and sign on your behalf.

The signing process should be the same as a regular recipient, in order to successfully sign the envelope, you will need to:

1. Open the email you received from DocuSign. 
  2. Click the REVIEW DOCUMENT button to begin the signing process.
  3. Agree to sign electronically, by reviewing the consumer disclosure, and select the checkbox “I agree to use Electronic Records and Signatures”.
  4. Click the CONTINUE button. 
  5. Click the START tag on the left to begin the signing process. You will be taken to the first tag requiring your action. 
  6. Click the SIGN tag to Adopt Your Signature.
  7. Verify that your name and initials are correct. If not, change them as needed.
  8. Click ADOPT AND SIGN to adopt and save your signature information and return to the document.
  9. When you finish reading the document and clicking all signature tags, confirm signing by clicking the FINISH button
  10. Click the CLOSE button after you finish viewing the information. 

You might find the following information useful:

Delegated Signing 

DocuSign eSignature: How To Sign a Document 

DocuSign Signing FAQs 

DocuSign eSignature signing process

If you believe that you need further assistance, or require the assistance of a live agent, you can always create a Support Case to have a Support agent work with you. 

https://support.docusign.com/s/contactSupport

If you are not able to open a  Customer Support case via the above link, you can scroll  down to More Support Options and select "I can't reset my password or don't have an account." you will have the option of filling out the form or calling Support.

Please click "Select as Best" below if you found the answer to be a valid solution to your issue. Thank you for using DocuSign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

Best regards,

Rebeca | DocuSign Community Moderator

Hi,

I got this explanation, but once the signer opens the document link from the email, they are being asked to give a password.

And it is not clear for them if the password is a new one or something we have to provide.

Do you have a document that explains this step so I can forward to the signers?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the DocuSign Community.

When you sign an envelope the Sender's account settings take over. The DocuSign default settings for signing are controlled by the admin of the sending account, if the admin has established that the recipients must log in in order to access the envelope, then the recipient will need to add their credentials before being able to access the envelope.

However, if they are not referring to a password because they do not have an account, and instead are being asked to provide an access code. The sender must provide the access code separately to the signer.

It is not transmitted with the DocuSign envelope, if you are not sure who the sender is and cannot contact them, you can reply to the email notification you received from us, DocuSign sends email notifications on behalf of its users. 

If you "reply to" the email notification you will be able to contact the sender with your questions.

Please keep in mind that an access code is different from the security code at the bottom of the DocuSign email.

Here are some resources you might find useful:

I need an access code to sign an envelope. Where do I find it?

How to contact the sender? 

If you believe that you need further assistance, or require the assistance of a live agent, you can always create a Support Case to have a Support agent work with you. 

https://support.docusign.com/s/contactSupport

If you are not able to open a  Customer Support case via the above link, you can scroll  down to More Support Options and select "I can't reset my password or don't have an account." you will have the option of filling out the form or calling Support.

Please click "Select as Best" below if you found the answer to be a valid solution to your issue. 

Thank you for using DocuSign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!

Best regards,

Rebeca | DocuSign Community Moderator