Skip to main content

How do you indicate where a recipient is to specifically sign?  

I know I can use Set Signing Order, but recipients are signing wherever they think they should sign.  Even signing a document twice.

DocuSign fields are color coded to a specific Recipient. When creating the envelope, add your Recipients (set a Signing Order) and then when you get to the fields or tags screen you have a dropdown of the Recipients in the upper left that are set as “Needs to Sign”. Each Recipient in that dropdown has a specified color and every field added will correspond to the actions that the Recipient(s) need to take.  By default Recipient #1 is yellow in color, Recipient #2 is light blue, so make sure you select the correct Recipient and place the corresponding colored field in the proper location.  Set the field as required or optional and then the Recipient once receiving the envelope will sign in the appropriately defined location based on the Sender’s tagging for each Recipient.

Please see this video that illustrates how you can place fields for each recipient. This particular section starts from the 13:37 mark. 

Hello @mkbinder ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Would you kindly let me know how to indicate where to sign when sending a document to only one person?

Many thanks.

Hello @Rachel Ostow Lustbader ,

Welcome to the Docusign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!
The process would be the same, you would need to add the recipient, and on the next page you would need to add the fields which are usually yellow for the first and/or only recipient. You can see more details in the following article: Add Fields to a Document

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!