Skip to main content

My document has a series of checkboxes. They can either check Yes or No. I don't want to make both fields "required" because then they would have to check both boxes. How do I make the boxes optional?

Two options...

1) Use Radio Buttons instead of checkboxes, as Radio Buttons are a OR operator which means that even if you placed 50 radio buttons in a group they can only choose one.

2) Use Checkboxes but then set a Validation in which one checkbox is "required". So drop a checkbox field, add another checkbox to this group, then go to Validation option on the right and set the dropdown to "Select at most" then choose "1".

Great suggestions! Thanks! Is there a way to "mass validate"? I have about 300 checkboxes on this template. Or do I have to click on each one and do it?

Also with the radio buttons, how do I group them? In the template, they have to answers Yes or No to about 150 questions. How do I group the radio buttons in groups of two so that they can check Yes or No for each question?

Each group of checkboxes will have a Validation property associated to the group. So lets say you added three groups and each group has 100 checkboxes, you can select any checkbox in a group and change the Validation. If you have 150 groups of Yes and No type checkboxes then that makes the process a little more tedious to change but I do not know a way to "mass" change these groups since they are already placed. If you knew this pre-Template, you could have added one group with two checkboxes, made the validation change and then just copied that single group X number of times.

When you drop a Radio Button, there is a "+" under the radio button, you select that "+" to add another Radio Button to the group, each time you add a "+" there is ---- "dotted lines surrounding the group so you know what buttons belong to each group.

Thanks! This is all really helpful.