Skip to main content

Hello all,

I know that when our recipient has signed the document and send it back to us, we are not able to make any changes and if finally we need an amendment, we should void the signed document and launch a new envelope (and pray that the recipient won’t do it wrong again). Following this, I wonder if there is any possibility to return it backwards to the recipient, without voiding, so he could make the proper changes and resign it?

My question arises following the last time I had to void an envelope, but I didn’t find such option. Instead, the system proposes a “Decline to sign” option, which alerts that we “can request changes to this document” and we could “contact the sender directly” with our request. So finally it turns out that changes are possible even after the document is signed? Is that right? Could you please share what steps should we take in order to take this opportunity?

Before bothering our client to try to change it, I would appreciate if you could advise us on this matter first.

Corrections can only be performed by the Sender, someone who has shared access to the Sender’s envelopes or a DocuSign Admin and only to an envelope that is not fully completed.  If all Recipients have taken action on the envelope then the envelope is considered complete and uneditable (cannot be corrected).  If the envelope has at least one Recipient left to take action then the envelope is correctable but in a limited fashion. You cannot remove a document if it has had action taken, you cannot modify data in fields by Recipients who have already taken action or remove those Recipients who have taken action. Basically you could add a new document(s) and add new Recipients to the workflow and those new Recipients could have new fields added to the old or new document.

I believe if a document has changed and you need a legally binding Signature or action taken on those modified documents that you void the original (if not fully completed) and send the new envelope through the entire envelope workflow, noting that this is an amended envelope.  I would also modify the Recipients fields to try to reduce any potential errors or mistakes when taking action. I do not have any recommendations for this part unless you are able to provide more details on what mistakes the Recipient(s) made.

Thank you for your answer, David!

I understand that finally we are not able to make any changes in the already filled information.

For example we face the following particular issue: Our recipient has to fill in the document his name and his bank details including the bank beneficiary name - our requirement is that these two names should comply one to another. Unfortunately our recipients usually fill the name of their Company and then they fill their own bank details, writing their own name (instead of the Company name). 

So, as far as I understand there is not any possibility to send the already signed document backwards to the recipient who filled it wrong (before the final sign on our side)?

If however such possibility is available, please share.

Thank you in advance!

@PDL Once the Recipient has completed the action and selected Finish, the data entered is locked into place unless you had the envelope setup to use “collaboration”.  A new envelope is typically the best solution. There are several possible future solutions or at least ways to mitigate errors.  

1.  Collaboration - allows a field to be filled out by one Recipient and changed or edited by another.
  2. Set “field duplication” . If one field is going to be exactly the same as another then you can create two DocuSign fields that are linked and once one is filled out then the other is filled with the same information. This is done by using the same “Data Label” on both fields.
  3. Set a Tooltip or add a Note next to the field that regularly has problems so you add additional instructions as guidance to the Recipient.

We had a company alter a line on our signed DocuSign form. They sent us a copy of the altered item. It was just a color change but it still disturbs me that they did that. Especially when they are telling us we missed checking a box and want to charge us for the correction. Makes we question if they altered that for a Change Order fee. What should I do?

Hi @DLM,

Thank you for following up.

Correcting an envelope within DocuSign is not charged. But creating a new one does count against the account’s envelope quota.

Taking this into consideration, it’s in your best interest to reach out to the sender of the document to confirm the reason behind this charge, as it is external to DocuSign.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Hi @PDL,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!