Skip to main content

I'm trying to set up a scenario where someone sends a form to be filled out and signed, but I'd like some of the fields to be restricted in a sense that only specific users (and the person who filled it out) can view it. I'd like other people to be able to view the form in general, just not see specific fields.

Example, user "A" sends form to member "B" who fills it out and it's sent to user "C" who also has to sign it. Is there a way I can restrict certain fields so only "B" and "C" can see them?

Well this seems to be a dangerous idea in the form that is explained in the original post. Basically you are asking a Recipient or Recipients to sign a document that would have details they cannot see. I understand the premise and there are options but not for fields on the same form, available to all Recipients. Here are my thoughts on options:

1) Separate envelopes - sending two envelopes with the same form, or even having one envelope filled out by Recipient A, then the completed envelope forwarded to a new Recipient (Recipient 😎 with additional fields which would exclude Recipient A from seeing those fields, but again 2 envelopes exist.

2) Two forms in one envelope and then use Document Visibility to restrict access to Recipients. So Recipient A might have fields and need to sign attachment A, and Recipient B might have fields on attachment A and B, but Recipient A cannot see attachment B.

That makes enough sense that you wouldn't be able to restrict certain fields. Is there a way to have the sender of the envelope not see the completed forms? As in the only ones able to see the completed forms would be the first recipient (customer) and the designated signer at the company (but not the original sender)?

By design on an envelope the Sender, Signers and Carbon Copy recipient types get an email with the completed form or they receive this in their DocuSign Inbox if the notification is turned off. The Sender could turn off the notification of course...or if the information is sensitive use the asterick feature to block the information but then they would still be able to download form data. It would be better to have the Sender instead as a Recipient and then use Document Visibility. Can you provide the Use Case of why the data entered by a Recipient shouldn't been seen by the Sender?

The scenario I'm thinking of is a lower level employee sending the form to a customer who also happens to be an employee, and the form needs to be reviewed by a higher level employee. Of course a workaround would be to have the higher level employee send the form in the first place, if we really didn't want the lower level employees to see each other's personal info.

To me this is perfect for Document Visibility, separating Recipient personal details into separate documents that each need to fill out and Sign and then send to the Higher Level Employee, who can see both documents. So basically we have 3 Recipients, with 2 documents. Recipient A sees document A but not document B, Recipient B sees document B but not document A, Recipient C (final approver, manager) sees both document A and B.