Skip to main content

Hello,

I am setting up some empathy training for staff to impress upon them the need to edit their DocuSign forms for accessibility.  I am using NVDA for the demonstration and I admit I don’t know NVDA very well.  

My question is:  From an accessibility perspective only, why do we need to change the field data labels from the default to something meaningful?  I can’t get the screen reader to see the field data labels.  The screen reader DOES see the tool tips as well as the Add Text content.  

I realize meaningful field data labels are much easier to work with when using DocuSign with other systems but my end users don’t care about that.  

Can someone give me a practical reason why we should change the data label, from an accessibility point of view?

Also, should the Data Label and the Tool Tip match the text label on the form for simple fields.  For example 

“Client Name ____________”  Then the Data Label = Client-Name and the Tool Tip = Client’s Name.  Or is there a better best practice?

Thanks

Rachael Leyba - Olmsted County MN

Hello, @Rachael Leyba - Olmsted County 

You are very welcome to the Docusign Community!

It’s a best practice rename the fields using a more descriptive name or you can shorten a name, for example, Customer Name could be Customer only or C Name. Why? I can mention at least some reasons:

1. If you are going to use Web Forms that’s is a requirement.

2. Bulk Send - using a .CSV file for send envelopes in a bulk will be much easier if the fields has descriptive names than the default data label like: Text 00808-98880-08080-0000 because the columns in the .CSV file will be easy to understand and use.

3. Download the envelope’s data using the Form Data option. 

4. Audit trail file (Certificate of Completion): if a field has Collaboration enabled, any changes will show up in the audit file using the data label info. Using a descriptive name will make those entries in the audit file much more understandable.

About Tool Tip: there is enough space to type a text to be used as a “Help” info, for example: Type here your name, middle name, and last name.

I hope that helps to clarify your doubts.

Best,

Alexandre

Hello @Rachael Leyba - Olmsted County ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!