Skip to main content

In the envelope history, under the User column, the user information includes api or web with the user’s IP address. I’ve also seen just the user’s name with no other information. What does it mean if it has api, web, or is blank (without the IP address)?

@Carolynn Schultz 

• API: When the User field displays “api”, it indicates that the action was initiated programmatically through an API call. This means that some software or application (likely a custom integration or an automated process) triggered the action using the DocuSign API. The specific user’s identity is not relevant in this case because it’s a system-level interaction.
  • Web: If the User field shows “web”, it signifies that the action was performed via the DocuSign web interface. In other words, a human user manually interacted with the envelope by logging into their DocuSign account through a web browser. The web entry typically includes additional details such as the user’s name and IP address.
  • Blank (without the IP address): When the User field is blank, it means that the action occurred without any explicit user context. This could happen in scenarios where the action was triggered by a system process (e.g., a scheduled task, background job, or workflow) rather than a specific user. Since there’s no associated IP address, it suggests that the action was not directly initiated by a person interacting with the web interface.

@JohnSantos

When I have sent an envelope, I can see that under my name it shows api, but I actually sent it via web interface. I have also seen that for an envelope which is set up to be sent through an API call, the history sometimes shows it as blank (only the name of the user whose information is used for the API call appears) OR it includes api (not consistent). Based on the information you provided, would this be a DocuSign bug?

@Carolynn Schultz 

Not necessarily.   Check the actions next you your name.  Registered and Sent Invitations are done on your behalf by the Application.  Opened, View-in Session and Signed probably done on the web application after authentication.   

Hi @Carolynn Schultz,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.