Skip to main content

Can the client/signer see where in the process the envelope is?

Example: I send a contract to a recipient for signature. The recipient signs but then the envelope goes to a few internal company signatures. Does the first recipient see where the envelope is at any given point in time after they sign but before it’s completed?

Thanks for any help. 

Janae

@jconway If the first Recipient has a DocuSign Account, then the envelope lands in the Recipients “Inbox” in DocuSign and they are able to track the envelope workflow of all Recipients. Without a DocuSign account, the Recipient sees a notification when it is their time to take action and gets a completion notification. The completion notification would allow access to the Certificate as well as envelope history which would show the envelope progression. Easier to see the additional Recipients if they have a DocuSign account but still possible without an account.

Thank you for the response @David.Schmitz . Any way to hide the visibility for signers? My team does not want to let recipients see when others sign or where the envelope is until it’s completed. 

@jconway Documents can be hidden (Document Visibility) and field data can be hidden but you cannot restrict a Recipient within an envelope from seeing the other Recipients of the envelope either through the Inbox of their account or via the completion notification.

Personally I would consider any hidden details, especially Recipients, a liability to a document if others are signing that document but I could see circumstances where anonymity is beneficial.

Here is an option.  Set up either a Signing Group or use alias emails for the Recipients.  We often use email aliases such as “approvals@domain.edu” (generic example) and then those individuals who need to approve are allowed access to that email inbox and remain anonymous.  (Note: They still sign a Name to the signature but the email is somewhat masked). Signing Groups can contain multiple Users and go to a central email address. (same signature issue applies).

@David.Schmitz  thank you very much for this detailed response. I will take your advice into consideration when bringing this up with my team. 

Huge thanks,

Janae

Hello @jconway ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

I am a sender of documents that are being filed with the Court. There are instances where a signer does not want the other party to have their email address. An example would be in the case of domestic violence or an active protective order.  

I read your examples of why it would not be a good idea to hide recipients; but what about just hiding their contact information? Is there any option to show the name but not the email address of a recipient? 

This would save many who work in my field some time from having to do a work-around  so that we can protect and safeguard someone’s contact info from being disclosed.