Skip to main content

I’m struggling to understand the difference between these two concepts - setting someone up as a Delegate or Sharing Access.  How are they not the same thing?

With Outlook, making someone a Delegate is a common thing - they typically have Send on Behalf Of rights, as well as creation and editing permissions.  I know that a calendar can be shared with someone that isn’t a delegate.  The concept has made sense for a long time.

Not so with DocuSign.  I need to give my attorneys a clear cut answer:  Make someone a Delegate if you need them to XYZ.  Share Access with someone when you need them to ABC...

Hello, @CRod 

Welcome to the Docusign Community!

In summary:

“Make someone a Delegate if you need them” to sign on your behalf and nothing else.

Share Access with someone when you need them to:

• Allow to manage on behalf of nUser Name]: Allows the selected user to view envelopes, view history, download files, and move envelopes into folders.
  • Allow to edit on behalf of nUser Name]: In addition to the manage permissions, allows the selected user to correct, resend, and void the user's envelopes.
  • Allow to send on behalf of nUser Name]: In addition to the manage and edit permissions, allows the selected user to send envelopes, edit drafts, resend, void, and correct in addition to managing on the user's behalf.

Let me know if I answered your question.

Best,

Alexandre

Thank you for your response.

How is that different from a Delegate?

@CRod Main difference is that with shared envelopes/access you can take certain actions on an envelope but that does not include signing or taking envelope field actions on an envelope on behalf of the person with who, you are sharing access.  There are levels of access so some allowances can be provided that would allow you to just view the envelopes or to correct or edit an envelope or be able to send on behalf of the User.

Delegation of signing would allow you to actually take actions including Signing on behalf of another User who has granted you that access.  The signature and actions are still recorded as the delegate in the Envelope History and Certificate.  Delegation of Signing does not provide you access to “all” the Users envelopes with whom you are a delegate, such as when the envelope is sent as “Receives a Copy” as there is no action for a delegate to perform.

Make them a “Delegate” if they need to take action on an envelope sent to you specifically when you are away (vacation, sick etc) or when they have the same authority as you to take action such as perhaps a personal assistant.

Provide them “Envelope access” when you require them to look after envelopes to completion, perhaps for correction or monitoring purposes, or sending envelopes on your behalf but they cannot sign the envelopes if you are a Recipient that “Needs to Sign”.

@CRod - The concepts of "Delegate Access" and "Shared Access" refer to different ways that users can manage documents and tasks within the platform. Here's a straightforward breakdown of each:

Delegate Access
Delegate Access allows a user (the delegator) to grant another user (the delegate) the ability to act on their behalf. This can include signing documents, sending documents for others to sign, or managing documents in the account. Delegation is typically used when the primary account holder is unavailable or wishes to allocate specific tasks to others, such as an assistant or a colleague.

Shared Access
Shared Access, on the other hand, involves multiple users having joint access to documents or folders. This feature is often used in team environments where collaboration on documents is necessary. Users can view, manage, edit, or sign documents based on the permissions set by the account holder.

Differences
Purpose and Use Case: Delegate Access is about individual authority and responsibility, focusing on allowing another user to act in one's place. Shared Access is about teamwork and collaborative access to resources.
Permissions and Control: Delegate Access involves granting specific powers to another individual, often with clear limits. Shared Access involves setting up an environment where multiple users can interact with the same documents or resources, usually with permissions tailored to their role or needs within the team.