Skip to main content

I have an envelope that is missing a signature because one of the signers refuses to sign it.  How can I complete the envelope without the signature?  I don’t want to remove the blank signature line as it is part of the document record.  Thanks, in advance, for the advice!

@saedwards - If you are the sender of the envelope you can correct it to remove that recipient.  The envelope will complete if there are no other recipients. 

Yes, I know I can remove the signature line BUT can I keep the unsigned line?  The document is a disciplinary document and the employee’s refusal to sign it needs to be a part of the record.  Again, I appreciate your response!

@saedwards - This is a tricky one and you almost would want to anticipate that an employee would refuse to sign and provide a means for the employee to act accordingly.  How about these other options or comments:

1. Correct the envelope and make it an Optional Signature Field:

• When preparing the document, include a signature field for the employee but mark it as optional. This way, if they choose not to sign, the document can still be completed.
  2. Add a Refusal Checkbox or Note:

• Add a checkbox or a text field where the employee can indicate their refusal to sign. For instance, you can add a checkbox labeled "I refuse to sign this document" or a text field where they can write their reasons for refusal.
  3. Utilize Comments or Notes:

• If the employee opens the document but does not sign, you can use the “Comments” feature to note their refusal. This way, there's a record of their action (or inaction).
  4. Certificate of Completion:

• Once the signing process is completed or expired, download the Certificate of Completion from DocuSign. This document provides a full audit trail, including who viewed and who signed (or did not sign) the document.

The Refusal checkbox will be perfect!  Thanks so much for your help!  Have a great long weekend!

@saedwards - I’m glad to hear that this could be good solution for you!

Hi @saedwards,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.