Skip to main content
Question

Combining Documents into 1 Template

• 20 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Is there a simple method to combine multiple DocuSign documents into one template without the use of Rooms?

Hello @Bill Turner ,

Welcome to the DocuSign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I understand you are looking to combine documents into one template, however, to better understand your request, can you provide more information?

Are you trying to combine documents that were previously sent out as individual documents? Or do you want to convert several documents that were in one envelope into a template?

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

I’m wanting to combine documents previously sent out as an individual documents into one document. 

The intent is to create a single document that includes multiple documents that were previously sent as individual documents so that the recipient receives only the one document that includes all of the documents to be completed and signed using DocuSign.

Hello @Bill Turner ,

Thank you for reaching back and for providing clarification.

There are two ways of doing this:

1. You can either download each document from the completed envelopes and create a template by uploading them and then add the needed fields later.
  2. Or create a copy of the envelopes, save them as drafts and then save them as individual templates (once you are done with everything you can delete them), once you have all the templates you would need to create a new envelope including all the previously created templates, save as a draft and convert that into a template. You might find the below article useful:

So, even through the second one seems more complicated it will save you the time of adding the fields to the documents and you would just need a couple of clicks

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

While the options provided by Nathaly will work great, I’d like to offer a 3rd option as well...if only to bring forward another feature of eSignature that some may not be aware of.  That ability is to combine templates, or applying multiple templates to the same envelope.  This is under the assumption that the envelopes you sent out previously are from templates that already existed in your account.

Use Case: I have three separate templates with each template containing a single document.  I would like to keep these templates as is for future envelope sending, however, there are times when I would like to merge all of the documents together from these templates into a single envelope to send.

Solution: I think this is best described in this Support article linked below:

How to apply multiple templates to the same envelope.

DocuSign University also covers combining templates, among many other topics, in our Deep Dive class called "Working with Templates". If you are interested in registering for this two hour class, please see the registration link below.  

https://dsucustomers.docusign.com/docusign-esignature-working-with-templates

Hello @Bill Turner ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,