Skip to main content

Can I pass a radio button value and checkbox values through a URL using Powerforms in DocuSign?

These values would come directly from an application, and I wish to have them auto populate along with the other information from my website. 

Fortunately I have found a way to autopopulate everythig except my radio buttons and radio buttons.The plan is to have whatever values are associated with the clicked or selected check boxes and radio buttons appear in a bcustome text field in my template.

I am not sure how to do this. I saw that you add to the URL witht he role and custome tag, but what would go int he value portion if i do not know ahead of time what the user will choose or who the user even is. 

powerformURl&role_custometag=Value

I would appreciate the help.

I am also aware you can use the API, but you cannot combine API with the Powerform.

thanks in advance for the help

Yes, you can pass the value for radio buttons and check boxes via the PowerForm URL. You have to include name/value pairs in the URL to set the value of any field assigned to the recipients.

In the case of a check box, you need to know the Data Label parameter of the field on the document. You set the value to true to make the checkbox default to checked.

Example: there's a checkbox field for the recipient with Data Label of "Satellite Radio". You would append &Satellite%Radio=true to the URL to check that box.

In the case of radio buttons, there is a Group Label for the collection of options and the Radio Button Value assigned to each radio button. You use the Group Label as the name of the parameter and the Radio Button Value as the value in the URL

Example: there is a radio button collection called Vehicle Type with 4 radio buttons with the respective values of Economy, Compact, Mid-size, Full-Size . To set the radio button to Economy you would append &Vehicle%20Type=Economy to the URL.

Note the special notation of using %20 instead of the space character in both the parameter name and value in a URL. Spaces would probably work but the %20 is better and safer.

Regards,

Thanks for the help Michael, but thats not really what I need.

I know how to append to a URL but my question is how do I append to a URL what the person chooses. Meaning I do not know the value ahead of time, so I wouldn't be able to assign the value "Economy" in the example of the radio button to the custom field becuase I don't know what they will choose.  

I was looking for a way to pass the Value from a checkbox(s) and radio button from my online application and have them display on a custom text field on my Docusign template, not to another checkbox or radio button. 

Truthfully I do not know if it is possible but I figured I would ask to get some input.

thanks again for the help

Why do you need to transpose checkboxes and radio buttons in your web form to a text box in DocuSign? Why not display it the same way using DocuSign check boxes and radio buttons?

If you really want a text string value populated into a DocuSign text box, then you just append &<field_name>=<value> to your URL where <field_name> is the Data Label of the DocuSign field. How you retrieve the value of your HTML tag is completely unrelated to DocuSign in any way and depends entirely on how you structured your HTML and what scripting language you use to reference your web page elements (JavaScript, JQuery, PHP, etc).

Check boxes in HTML don't have a value unless you explicitly define one:  <input type = "checkbox" id = "mycheckbox" value = "1" >.

If you do define that property, then you can reference it in JavaScript:  document. getElementById ( "mycheckbox" ). value ;

You could pass that value into the PowerForm URL.

For radio buttons, it's a little more involved and definitely depends on your scripting language. You first need to identify which radio button in the group was selected and then access its value property. You can Google examples of how to do this for your specific script language.

Regards,

Yes I had seen an example of that being done, I just wanted to see if there was another way through docusign. I appreciate yout help!