Skip to main content

Hi there, 2 questions.

First one, pretty sure the answer is no, but there may be a work around.

I have a bulk list to import (I’m fine with the CSV and importing). I got name, email, role and the company name. For some, we don’t have any name listed only a generic email like info@company.com. Is there a way to leave it (the full name) blank (I’m guessing not as I get an error message after import and I need to clear them invidually) so the enduser signing the Document input his name without us having to populate manually all the missing ones. That would save us a lot of time for those cases. I know it may look like a mass mailing at random targets, but it is not. I was provided with a list from our CRM that did not grab the names for whatever reason (I was not behind that exportation so I am unsure how they did it and the process to get a new list will not be worth it).

Second one. In a bulk import, is there a way that an ECF be also used in the document (DCF)? Meaning that the bulk import will fill the ECF AND the DCF? That would be for the company name I am importing with the list. I want it to be used in the subject (ECF, easily done) and as the company name (used as default) for the signature (I was thinking of using a DCF instead of the regular “company” field). I am trying to avoid the “defaul company field” as any users that have previously used DocuSign (or have an account), their company name will be prepolulated. I need to “bypass” that as some of our clients will need to sign the document for 2 or 3 different businesses. A lot of them use the same email (at least in our CRM), so we need to let them know for which company it is by filling up the subject with an ECF (done) and filling up the document with a DCF that matches the ECF (that’s the part I’m not sure about). 

Not sure if what I’m trying to do is clear enough? If there’s a way to do it that I didn’t think about? I am new at DocuSign so I am still learning.

Hello @Ebergevin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Docusign Community.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you. For the first question, it is mandatory the recipient's name to do a bulk send, have you thought about using either Powerforms or Web Forms? Web Forms Overview, PowerForms Overview.

If your template contains envelope custom fields (ECFs), the bulk recipient CSV file can specify these field values for each bulk send envelope, with two considerations:

• The bulk recipient list can specify only text string entries; list values are not supported. ECFs are created and regulated by your Docusign administrator. Your admin can specify ECFs to be either free-text entries, or selected from a list of possible values. If you want to specify field values in the bulk recipient list, only free-text entry ECFs are supported. If you have a list type ECF, you cannot specify a list value in the bulk list. Also, list type ECFs are not included when you generate a CSV. For more information about ECFs, see the Custom Fields for Envelopes topic.
  • ECF values in the bulk recipient list override any envelope custom field entries made directly on the envelope.

For non-CSV instances, select an ECF for the envelope in the Region dropdown menu.

To confirm in your case you want only to field the ECF and have that populate to the DCF?

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some of the options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.