Skip to main content

Hi, I am trying to design a template to use for electronic voting for a non-profit organization.. I am trying to design  a form where the motion is presented. The e signer then clicks on check mark “ I am in favor of the motion, I am against the motion, or I abstain from voting. The date and director esigning. I can get the enveople out there but the signer is only asked to sign and date. The check mark questions are there but not asking the person to check their option on the motion. Should I be using radio boxes instead? Is there a certain order for Docusign. Should I make them choose first and then date and sign? Not much in the Course section on how to do this. Nothing in the template library on a simple balllot. 

Checkboxes can be tricky as they can be set to Optional if a validation is not set or if you use three separate checkboxes instead of a checkbox group.  IF the choice being made is a set of items but only “1” item should be selected then I would suggest using the Radio Buttons as they are “OR” type fields (make sure to use a Radio Button group).  If you need to use Checkboxes, first make sure you are using a Checkbox Group, add one checkbox from the left side of the fields then add checkboxes with the “+” sign that appears on that checkbox that you just added.  Once you have all the checkboxes in the checkbox group, add them where they are needed then go to the right panel and set the validation of that checkbox group to “Exactly” and “1” or whatever variation is needed.  If set to “Exactly” and “1” then that Checkbox Group is a required field and not optional for the Recipient.

Thank you, David. I will read up on how to do a radio button group. Then I will redraft it. I sent out a test envelope today and the signers could not use the check boxes. Just date and signature. Someone told me to just Eballot, but I think this will be easier.

Hi @T. Cook ,

Welcome to the DocuSign Community!

We are glad to have you here and can't wait to help share as much knowledge as possible.

I am sorry to hear that your checkboxes were not being completed by your signers, but I will help correct this issue.

To add to David’s answer, you can find more details on when to use check boxes vs radio buttons, along with detailed steps on how to configure your radio or check box groups, here:

How and When to Use Radio Buttons and Checkboxes

Checkbox Fields

Specify How Many Checkboxes in a Group a Signer Can or Must Select

Field Types

Also, I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

And, please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible.   

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!