Skip to main content

Hi all, 

Probably easy, but can’t figure it out: is it possible to add name and signature fields that are not tied to a specific name/person, such that I just have a bunch of fields in the document that people can pick and fill out themselves? I want to send an open letter that a group of people can either decide to sign or not, and do not want to create fields for everyone, especially since some might not sign. 

Hello @lcdees ,

Welcome to the DocuSign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I would be happy to help, I understand you would like to add fields to a document that is not tied to a specific person. However, to better understand your question, are you looking to have several recipient sign the same document in one envelope or do you need to have them sign their own individual document?

If it is the second, there are two features that DocuSign offers called PowerForm and Web Forms, this would allow you to create a template with the needed fields (please note that there should be a recipient tile to which the fields will be tied to but this can remain blank, you would just add a role) to later create the PowerForm or the Web Form. The beauty of it is that the template can be provided to the targeted recipient via a link.

For more information, please view: How are Web Forms Different from PowerForms

PowerForms: PowerForms Overview

Web Forms: Web Forms

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in certain DocuSign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic. For more information about which options are available for your account, contact your account administrator. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan.

Compare eSignature plans & pricing

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hi Nathaly, 

Thank you for the reply! So it is actually the first option I am interested in. I want a number of people to sign the same document. Would you have any further advice on how to do that? Thanks :)

Hello @lcdees ,

Thank you for reaching back and for providing further information.

In that case, I’m sad to say that it is not possible. Fields will always need to be tied to a specific recipient, however, you can make signature fields optional, that way the recipient can decide what they want to sign, but a name and email has to be tied to the field prior to sending. If not by the sender prior to sending, a recipient can specify other recipients once sent.

For more information about recipients specifying other recipients name and email, you can view the following article: When To Use Specify Recipients 

Regarding optional fields, you can view more information in the following article: Make a Field Optional

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

Hello @lcdees ,

If you found my response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator