Skip to main content
Solved

Send Completed Email to Embedded Signers

• 2 August 2024
  • 2 replies

As per subject, I would need a way to have Embedded Signers receiving the Completed e-mail when all signers completes the envelopes.

My integration is within an Online Account Opening application and I have a possible scenario with a mixed combination of Embedded Signers (the main owner of the account being opened) and additional Remote Signers (the joint owners of that account).

With this scenario the joint owners could complete the envelopes days after the main one completed the embedded signing procedure but only the Joint owners would receive the e-mail notification.

I understand e-mail notification is off by default for embedded signers and that can make sense when a single signer is needed for a given envelope… but when multiple signers are involved, especially if mixed like in my case, this default behaviour sounds more like a Defect rather than a desired behaviour.

I know I have the possibility to use the “embeddedRecipientStartURL” parameter with "SIGN_AT_DOCUSIGN" to set main owner as both Embedded and Remote but that would also send the initial e-mail with the link to sign “remotely” and I don’t want that as it can be misleading for the user who gets both online signature process AND the email…

Question: can I change the main signer to be Remote after s/he completes the embedded signing procedure? I was thinking about “updateRecipient” API but the documentation doesn’t list “clientUserId” as a possible field to change…

Anything else I can do to accomplish my goal?

Edit: I also know about the flag “Send completion emails to embedded signers” in the Admin dashboard but since our application is used by multiple account I don’t like this route as it would mean to change the flag on each account. Unless there’s the possibility to edit or bypass that default value from API… that would work perfectly.

Thanks,
Paolo

Hello Paolo,

Thank you for contacting Docusign Community Support. 

As you mentioned our account settings have the options to enable Completed Emails for embedded signing.  This cannot be controlled in the envelope and once a recipient is set as embedded it cannot be changed. 

You can use this endpoint to change the account's settings through the API (access token has to be for an Administrator user):
https://developers.docusign.com/docs/esign-rest-api/reference/accounts/accounts/updatesettings/

You can set to 
inSessionSuppressEmails to False and 
signerInSessionUseEnvelopeCompleteEmail to True. 

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adrian | Docusign Developer Support

Thanks for your answer!

I guess that would work but since I’m not sure I can have admin rights on all accounts I’m going that route.

Instead, I think I found a workaround that works perfectly with my scenario without the need of tweaking envelope/recipients nor the global settings.

My workaround is adding the embedded signer also as a Carbon Copy in an additional Routing Order after the ones I already have in my envelope!

I’m currently testing this and for now I didn’t find any downside. Everything seems to work as expected and I’m achieving the goal I had for my scenario.

I’m not familiar with the support community… should I mark the question as resolved/closed or is it done automatically? I don’t see any option to close/resolve the question..

Thanks,
Paolo