Skip to main content
Solved

Create Excel Spreadsheet with Multiple Signoffs - One per row

I would like to convert an existing spreadsheet where each row requires an initial. I have no preference for order of signoff (if it matters). Each signer may have several rows to initial. Then I, as the owner of the spreadsheet, will signoff on the entire sheet after everyone has initialed. This is a weekly process, so a template creation may be in order. Thanks.

This is certainly possible. Excel files can be uploaded as a document and fields added for each Recipient required to Initial and/or place a Signature. The one item is whether the document changes each week, this would require you to update (Replace) the document each time it changes and potentially re-arrange the Recipients if document rows and field placement change. If the spreadsheet is static and very little to no changes occur as to the data and the Recipients initialing that is less complicated.

I was able to upload the spreadsheet, but it doesn't seem to have an option to add fields. From the Home page (docusign.com/home) after signing into Docusign, there is a large "drop document here" box, which I copied the spreadsheet to. It automatically redirects to /prepare and wants to Add Documents to the Envelope and Add Recipients to the Envelope. My spreadsheet is shown under Add Documents. If I click the vertical ellipsis next to my document, I get choices to Apply Template, Replace, Download, Rename, Delete, View Document. In the top right menu bar under Actions I have Save and Close, Send Now and Discard. Next to that under Advanced Options I have some options for Reminder and such. Maybe I don't have the right subscription for adding fields?

You need to add at least one Recipient and then select the Next button in the upper or lower right, that should bring you to the tagging screen. Can you supply a screenshot?

That looks like it did the trick! I guess I didn't want to proceed until I got the fields defined. Little strange (to me) that it needs a recipient before you finish defining the document to be sent.

Now I need to figure out why it's breaking my 11"x17" document into 8.5"x11". Should be "easy".

Okay, figured that out.

Next issue is the initialing function from the signee side. I painstakingly added dozens of "Initial" fields (making sure the pixel spacing and positions were relational). Two initial fields per row. The first field is a specific user and that user may have a number of Initial fields to sign off on. The second field is a Project Manager sign off field. So this form will be emailed to a dozen or so users so they can initial their appropriate rows. Once all these users sign off, the form will then go to the PM's to sign off. Once everyone is done, it is sent back to me so I can actually put my signature at the bottom of it all. It appears a user cannot "finish" or "save" unless all Initial fields are filled in. This will cause an issue when the first end user is done initialing his rows and tries to move it on to the next end user.

Not sure I understand the issue entirely. Yes it is true that an envelope will not allow a Recipient to "Finish" if they have 'assigned' required fields that are not completed. So either you have assigned some fields to the wrong Recipient or you have fields that could be "optional" and therefore skipped. Setting a field as "optional" is done in that fields control panel to the right.

Ah ha... I see with multiple recipients comes Initial field assignment. Plus I can create this as a template so I don't have to redo it every week.

I think I'm solid. Thanks for the help.

Thanks again David. I didn't see your response until I refreshed the browser after I had already posted my last response. Apparently this forum software dynamically updates the thread with my responses, but not anyone else's responses.

Glad I could assist.