Skip to main content
Question

Close or Reactivate Accounts

• 15 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I am the administrator for our organization, and I have a user going on long term leave. Our policy indicates that the users account should be disabled while they are off, but I want to confirm if I use the “Close” account function, that the user will retain access to all of their envelopes when I reactivate their account. 

Can someone help me identify how long the user will have access to their data if their account is closed and reactivated? 

To clarify, I did find this previous topic but I am unsure what the answer is.

The body of the response says “When the account gets closed, the data will be deleted as part of standard account closure activities, subject to data we may retain as required or permitted for our compliance with law.” 

But the link “What happens to a users data once the user is closed?” says:

Envelopes
The user’s Inbox and Sent items are still preserved within the account. Administrators can transfer envelopes between users on any organization accounts that are on the same Docusign environment site. Note: The Administrator will not be able to take action on envelopes in the user's Inbox. 

Does this mean the user’s envelopes are preserved indefinitely when the account is closed?

Link to other post:

Hi @lrivest,

Welcome to the Docusign Community!

We are glad to have you here and can't wait to help share as much knowledge as possible.

I understand that you want to confirm if your user’s envelopes will be retained after their membership’s closure, and I will share more details on the topic.

Even though a user’s envelopes are kept even after their closure, these may not be accessible to the account administrator after the membership is closed. 

Taking this into consideration, the best course of action would be transferring the envelopes to a user that will be kept active, before closing the original user.

You can find detailed steps on how to transfer envelopes between users, here:

Transfer of Envelopes and Templates to Account Users

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using Docusign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Thank you so much for the information! 

Hi @lrivest,

Thank you for following up.

I am glad to see that the resources I shared were useful to your use case.

If you find that it helped you solve your issue, please mark a comment as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!