Skip to main content

How can I set up reminder emails to go out x days before a contract expires?

I have a Document Generation Upload form set up that records contract end date, as well as a "alert x days before end" field.

How do I have reminders set to go out "x days before" the contract end date?

I looked at smart rules and notification templates, but it looks like I can only have those triggered one period of time before the end date on the document, and not variable based on the document (Document x has a reminder going out 90 days before end date, Document y has a reminder going out 15 days before end date).

I also looked at workflow, but wasn't able to figure out how to have it calculate the date the reminder should go out.

Karyn,

Check out Admin > Reminder Templates > Add Template > Using a date stored in the document's attributes.

This allows you to setup a Reminder template that allows you to set and calculate the date/time of the reminder email based on adding/subtracting 'x' days from a DATE that is stored in a specific attribute field as applied on the document for which the reminder would fire.

Once you've setup the template, anytime you add that Reminder Template to a document that has a date value sufficiently far enough in the future in the specified attribute field, the reminder date should calculate for you correctly.

@Scott Brooks​ , thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I want "x" to vary based on what the user sets for that document (one of my intake form fields is "Lead Time Alert (days)"), and that will only let me enter a static number.

Capture

Ok. You will need to use workflow. There is step called Schedule Document Reminder that has an input for Reminder Date. You will need to do some date math in the Expression Builder. Probably something like this...

DateTime.Parse(GetVariableValue("Params.Documents.Document.TemplateFieldData.Date_of_Agreement_End")).AddDays(-Convert.ToInt32(GetVariableValue("Params.Documents.Document.TemplateFieldData.Lead_Time_Alert__Days_")))

@Scott Brooks​ , thanks for the help. I got the workflow structure set up, but I'm not able to get the xml file so I can update the document schema so I can map the form input to a variable to use. I'm running in debug mode, but no luck. This is my first config launched via SpringCM -- do you have any suggestions?

The XML file that is created when Debug mode is on should be saved to the same location as where the merged document would appear. The XML file is produced as soon as you Preview the merge document in Doc Launcher. From there, you can download the XML file, open it in a text editor like Notepad++ and then copy/paste into the workflow designer by Editing the Schema of the XML variable you want to populate with the structure.

I tried doing it that way, but I never saw an xml file pop up (I'm wondering if that is because it's an upload config instead of a create config. I was able to get the xml file using this method: https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/Use-a-Document-Generation-Template-to-Start-a-Workflow

@Scott Brooks​  How do you add a reminder template to entire folders that already exist?

You can probably use a workflow to iterate the folders.