Skip to main content

Hello I am having some trouble with renaming my documents. I’ve uploaded some PDFs and associated their respective attributes to them using Smart Rules - Bulk Attribute Association and now I want to rename the same documents using their attributes. 

DocuSign support mentioned the xpath is incorrect, but I’m not able to find anything that can shed some light on this. I’ve also tried to apply the Example Use Case: XPath expression creates folder and moves document without success. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

maybe try using regex

Hello! Welcome to the DocuSign Community. 

To rename documents using their attributes, a simple, non-workflow related way to accomplish this is by using the Name Template on the attribute group. Here is an example attribute group with the Name Template field in. 

Name Template value = =Customer Name]]_Contract_ctDepartment]]

By using ng ]] around the attribute name + the combination of static characters, you can build your document name this way. 

Be careful! Any documents that have previously had this group applied will be renamed as well as any future documents that get this group applied. One way to control this is to use the name template, wait a few minutes for your document names to update, then remove the name template from the group. This will ensure that any future documents will not be renamed unexpectedly. 

Via workflow, this task is a bit more complicated (as you have seen!) But from your screenshot, it looks like you are on the right track. Here is a sample workflow I set up to rename all the documents in a folder based on a Customer Name attribute and Department attribute. 

I tried attaching a downloaded version of this file (.json) but the community won’t allow a .json to be uploaded. What I did was saved it as a .txt file and you can resave this as a .json file which you should be able to upload to see the details. 

I truly hope this helps! 

Wow Kelly, you know everything!