Skip to main content

Is the following possible with DocuSign CLM?

A document is generated with merged values from a record in Salesforce. The document is then reviewed internally and sent externally for review and redlines. When the parties agree that the document is finalized, we’d like to update the original Salesforce record with the new values that are in the document’s merged fields. Is this possible? If so, I would very much appreciate a summary of how one would go about it. Thanks in advance!

@kcampbell 

Yes, this is possible and commonly uses. Within a CLM workflow there is a step “Update Salesforce”, which can be used to update field values in Salesforce.com from Docusign CLM variables.

@Michael.Rave Thank you for your response—I really appreciate it. I am aware of the element but am struggling to find documentation on how to use it effectively. Do you mind sharing additional details as to how to use that element to pass an updated value from a document back into the corresponding Salesforce field?

@kcampbell

Sure, let me post a screenshot of an actual configuration of that step, which may help you with the configuration:

This examples is based off a document generation triggered from Salesforce, which means the Salesforce Object Type and the Record ID are part of the payload and can be leverages in the workflow to update Salesforce at a later point in the workflow.

Object Type: Salesforce Object Type, e.g. Opportunity

Search Field: ID

Search Value: Salesforce Record ID, e.g. Opportunity ID (need to match Object Type)

Update Field: Salesforce Field Name

Update Value: New Value, stored in a CLM Variable or hard coded into the step

Very cool!