Skip to main content

In the past when I was creating a template for a new I-9 (or W4), I was able to upload a PDF of an I-9 or W-4s and the system would detect that their were fields and automatically put them in the template. I am trying to prepare for the new I-9 and this field seems to be gone. Am I doing something wrong or has the functionality changed?

Thanks,

Melani

That only works if the PDF has fillable fields defined. If you're just uploading a flat PDF with no fields, DocuSign can't identify what fields to create.

Thank you for your response. When I try to download the fillable form from the USCIS website, I get an error.

I don't see anywhere else on the USCIS website to get the new form. Others must have done this already, so could you also tell me where I can get the correct fillable form that works with Docusign?

Best,

Mel

The image you loaded is not being displayed so I can't see the error. However, I downloaded the I-9 from the USCIS website via this link: [invalid URL removed]

When I viewed it in my browser with the Adobe plug-in, I saw this which never resolved:I-9 WarningIn Adobe Reader I saw the same warning but the yellow banner at the top allowed me to "Enable All Features" which then properly rendered the fillable PDF.I-9 Adobe Warning 

Even after that, trying to upload the PDF to a template in DocuSign throws this error:

Error uploading i-9.pdf: Dynamic XFA PDF not supported

The PDF from USCIS includes much more than just fillable fields. There is a dynamic XML form layer that may conditionally add or omit sections of the document based on user input in the fields. Because of this dynamic aspect to the document content, DocuSign is not able to ingest that type of PDF. The PDF must be flattened to remove the XFA content before it can be loaded into DocuSign.

I'm not sure whether there's a way to convert it to a fillable form without hte XFA layer or not. I just know it can be printed to a plain flat PDF without fillable fields but then you'd have to manually add DocuSign fields.

If you download the "Form I-9 Paper version" it has fillable fields defined, and DocuSign recognizes them.

From this page, it's the "Basic Version"

Employment Eligibility Verification | USCIS